Thursday, August 31, 2006

Me, New Orleans and Jagermeister


Today, one of my friends told me she had her first Jager Bomb (Jagermeister and Red Bull) the other night. This prompted me to tell her, in great detail, one of my favorite New Orleans stories.

In March of 1995, I took my third trip to New Orleans. It was one of our medium sized trips (only thirteen people). Saturday afternoon, some of the women needed naps and outfit changes and some of the men wanted to rest a while before beginning the evening. My brother, my sister-in-law, my sister's brother-in-law and I weren't in the mood for such pleasantries. We told everyone, "We're going in here," and pointed to the nearest bar to where we were standing. "Come find us later."


"In Here" turned out to be the world famous Famous Door. On the stage was a band that was playing the best dance music we had ever heard. Each song was better than the last song. As soon as we walked in the door, we were approached by people who were in there pushing the Jagermeister. If you did a shot, you got stuff. We thought, "What the hell." Heaven knows we didn't quite have enough plastic Hand Grenade glasses, go cups, beads, yada, yada, yada.



So...

We did shots. We got clackers.

We danced.

We did shots. We got t-shirts.

We danced.

We did shots. We got hats.

We danced.

Did I mention it was 4:00 in the afternoon? I didn't mention that?


By the time everyone came back to the Famous Door a few hours later, we were covered in Jagermeister crap and blitzed to our eyeballs. We were best friends with everyone in the bar. My brother was playing the conga drum with the band and someone (it might have been me) had started a conga line to some Jackson 5 song. We were a sight to behold.

(What do you do with Jagermeister souvenirs? Give them to the children when you get home, of course.)



I'll be the first to tell you, Jagermeister is not a tasty shot. It tastes a lot like a bad dose of Vicks 44 cough syrup. However, if you're in the mood to jumpstart your night, Jager Bomb, baby, Jager Bomb.

10 comments:

Sudiegirl said...

You realize that Jagermeister is really a type of liquor made from fermented cabbage?

Yep...one of the reasons I'm glad I took enough german in college to read the damned label. Saved my life too!

Thanks for the shoutout on the August 11 blog!

Sudiegirl

Mommy said...

Ah, back to my days of being a drinker... I was introduced to Jager Bombs by a guy named Adam with a bald head. I got as drunk as I ever remember getting (as I ever *remember* getting).

I think if I had one now I would probably have to have my stomach pumped.

Anonymous said...

My first Jagermeister shot was at one of our country bars here in Beaumont. I just remember the most wonderful, confidence boosting buzzes I've ever had. Kind of frisky too. Taste like cough medicine but what the hell.

Baby Sis

Anonymous said...

JAGER BOMBS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

La Sirena said...

The only way I can get the jaeger down is in a bomb. I used to have to hold my breath while pouring jaeger shots as a bartender -- all because of one unfortunate jailbaity New Years Eve involving 3 strange guys feeding me shots of jaeger, me upchucking all over their shoes and ending up safely (thank goodness)passed out, face- down on a friend's carpet.
Not a pretty girl!

Queen of the Universe said...

Put the jager in the freezer, to thicken it up a bit. Surprisingly, it is easier to shoot this way. Or try a slightly sweeter version, and it's a little smoother.... Baronjager.

Miss Cellania said...

I'll bet there was a radio station broadcasting from the event. I've done a few of those myself (broadcasts, not neccessarily shots.. well, yeah, those too).

And the word verification is jagufvm! Thats how you pronounce Jagermeister when you'd had a few!

Laurie said...

Popeye - I still have some of that stuff.

Sudiegirl - Well, I'll be.

Jen - Good times. Good times.

Baby Sis - I know. I was there.

Fav File Clerk - Woo hoo!

Sirena - Throwing up at the
(in?)appropriate time has probably kept me from being ravaged a time or two.

Queen - I might have to try that tonight.

Miss Cellania - The perfect word thingy! Wow!!

Dayngr said...

I love New Orleans too and visit as often as possible though now, 2 kids and a business later it isn't all that possible. Loved the blog!

Laurie said...

DayngrGirl - Thanks! :)