- My Netflix queue currently has 314 items in it.
- I add at least 5 items a week to the queue.
- I watch 1 Netflix movie/television show selection per week.
- Sometimes I don't even watch that much.
- It would take me over 6 years to watch the 314 items currently in my queue at one movie/tv show per week.
- It would take me over 12 years to watch the 314 NetFlix thingys if I only watch one thingy every other week.
- Adding 5 new movies per week puts an additional 260 movies in my queue every year
- If I only watch one Netflix item per week, at the end of 6 years I will have 1,560 movies in my queue, because I can never watch as much as I add.
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Friday, February 27, 2009
Created by Train Horns
Click here to get yours.
Pancho Villa's Mexican Restaurant
230 Crockett Street
Beaumont, Texas 77701
- Why are there so many truck commercials?
- Why do car salesmen yell in those commercials?
- Why do 90% of the men in Texas think they have to have a truck?
- Why do 80% of those men think their truck has to be able to pull a train engine?
- Why do truck commercials use the same Bob Seeger/Toby Keith/some other tough guy song for their theme song way longer than they should?
- Why do these things annoy me so?
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
What should Laurie give up for Lent?
Total votes = 23
No Unnecessary Needless Shopping (NUNS) (26%)
Give up drinking (26%)
No eating out for lunch during the week (30%)
All of the above (17%)
The poll was so close that I'm going to give up the shopping and the lunches and I'll give up margaritas, too. Off we go!
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Selfishly, as is my way, I try to give up things that will force me to either save money or cut back on calories and sometimes both at the same time. A couple of years ago I gave up unnecessary shopping and created a small movement known as N.U.N.S. (No Unnecessary Needless Shopping). For the forty days of Lent, I didn't purchase CDs, books, DVDs, junky junk, video games, clothes, etc. It's more difficult than it sounds.
Last year (or maybe it was the year before), I gave up drinking. That was much easier than the no shopping thing. This year, I'm considering giving up something which will probably be the most difficult of all and which will likely make me extremely unpopular among my friends: no eating out for lunch during the work week.
Exceptions will be made to the no lunch thing for family gatherings, however. There are no exceptions to the no drinking thing...not even Courville's concerts. The only exception I allow myself to the no shopping thing is that if my one pair of black pants or brown shoes or black flats gets ruined for some reason, I can replace them.
I'll let you decide. For those of you who vote for "all of the above," God will get you and keep in mind that karma is a bitch.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Friday, February 20, 2009
- Laurie wants to rule the dial.
- Laurie wants to raise awareness.
- Laurie wants her hooves buffed.
- (Hugh) Laurie wants my body.
- Laurie wants to make the event as pleasurable and fun as possible.
- Laurie wants to ride motorcycle across the U.S.
- Laurie wants to stop the runaway train.
- Laurie wants you to kick ass.
- Laurie wants to know what you're going to do with the baton in your hands.
- Laurie wants to learn more about this girl who she finds out is her sister.
- Laurie wants to update her blog but is just too lazy.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
- Laurie needs to read the CBE Certification.
- Laurie needs a crash helmet.
- Laurie needs help.
- Laurie needs to lose weight.
- Laurie needs flight school.
- Laurie needs a haircut.
- Laurie needs in on this.
- Laurie needs her days off, too.
- Laurie needs to update more often.
- Laurie needs no introduction.
Leave me some of your favorites for your name in the comments.
Monday, February 16, 2009
Blowing bubbles with paw-paw...
Waiting for mommy and daddy to get back from their Valentine's Day movie date.
(The rocker Ava is sitting in was my rocker when I was her age. My mom and dad reupholstered it and repainted it for the Grand-Fabulous-Ava.)
Sunday, February 15, 2009
All of Dick's bands (Badfaith, Longneck Road, Madison Monroe) were terrific, as usual. Ray Wylie Hubbard was great in the newly remodeled Courville's. Check out the Courville's schedule for upcoming shows.
As fantastic as all of that was, the highlight of my week was the discovery of the band I saw tonight. Evidently, they've been around a couple of years, but I had never seen them before. The band is called Simple Logic and the lead singer is the best I've ever seen locally and I've seen lots and lots and lots of incredible local talent in my day.
His covers of Maroon 5, John Mayer, Jason Mraz, Eric Clapton, Train, Dishwalla, Matchbox 20 and so many others that I can't even remember were perfection. Then, as if all that weren't enough, to top it all off, he did Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On."
Upcoming: Kinky Friedman at Courville's and Simple Logic opening for Billy Bob Thornton's band at Whiskey River. I'll keep you posted.
Also: Thank you, Beaumont, for being non-smoking. Four bars in four nights would not have been nearly as enjoyable drenched in smoke.
Bar/Club/Cafe recommendation: You should check out the Logon Cafe. Good food, nice people, interesting beer and wine selection. Ever had a Hoegardden beer or a Tercos Malbec wine? You can get both at the Logon and I highly recommend the turkey melt.
Friday, February 13, 2009
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Only one day? Really?
If you're only showing her how you feel one day out of the year, I assure you she already knows how you really feel.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Sometimes inspiration for a new purchase comes from an unexpected source. This morning as I was walking the dog, he stopped to take his regular morning poop. Instead of finishing, however, he started to do the butt-scoot-boogie across the grass. Upon further inspection, I realized the mint flavored dental floss he had evidently eaten out of my bathroom waste basket wasn’t going to come out on its own.
As I was pulling the crap encrusted dental floss out of Oakley’s ass, I thought, “You know what you need, Laurie? A covered waste basket for the bathroom.”
Monday, February 09, 2009
Do people really like these?
Chocolate Lip Gloss
Not as yummy as it sounds.
Also, not as yummy as it sounds.
I don't like chocolate and mint together. Blech.
Dark or Bittersweet Chocolate
How could anything called bittersweet possibly be a good thing?
Dark Chocolate...and Mint
No, no, no.
Orange and Chocolate
No, no, no, no.
Orange and Chocolate and Mint
No, no, no, no, no.
I can't even imagine who thought this up.
Saturday, February 07, 2009
One day last week, I kept passing by a co-worker's desk and seeing the above bubble wrap with a hammer on it. How bad has your day been when you have to take a hammer to the bubble wrap?
As I was preparing my healthy lunch of sausage biscuit, potato chips and Dr. Pepper, I noticed my supposedly unopened box of six sausage biscuits was two sausage biscuits short. What the hell? Jimmy Dean owes me some sausage. Upon further inspection, I found that some pot heads had opened the bottom of the box and snaked two sausage biscuits. A pot head owes me some sausage.
We have a new cable channel called "Chiller." At first, I was excited. After perusing the channel guide, however, I find the station carries a lot of slasher type stuff, which I'm not crazy about unless zombies are involved. On the other hand, there's going to be a Twin Peaks marathon all day Tuesday. I feel a sick day coming on.
Thursday, February 05, 2009
Saturday, February 7 - Aunt Hazel 65th Birthday Party!
Sunday, February 8 - Benefit for my cousins (see post below)
Wednesday, February 11 - Badfaith (*) @ The West Bar & Grill
Saturday, February 14, Simple Logic with Madison Monroe @ Logon Cafe (*)
February 20, 21 and 22 - Mardi Gras Port Arthur (*)
Tuesday, February 24 - Mardi Gras @ The Star Bar on Crockett Street
Saturday, February 28 - Monthly TJ Alumni Gathering @ The Star Bar on Crockett Street(*) My friend Dick is in all these bands.