Sunday, March 04, 2007

A Frightening Realization

I went to a basketball game Saturday night (we won, GO LU) and, during a break in the action, I noticed two little girls, one blonde and one brunette, standing by the rail in front of me dancing in cute little girl ways to the funky music of the Lamar University band.

The little girls were about 5 or 6 years old and were just having a good old time. Evidently, another little girl, about the same age, who had been sitting behind me thought that looked like great fun so she went down to the rail to join them.

When the brunette of the two original little girls saw the second blonde walk up and start dancing with them, she quit dancing and went back to sit with her parents. The first blonde, however, kicked it up a notch which, in turn, caused the second little blonde girl to really get her groove on.

The girls never spoke to each other and only gave each other the most casual of glances, but the competition was evident. Suddenly, the first blonde girl stopped dancing, tapped the second blonde girl on the shoulder and pointed to the man who was sitting in front of the rail below them and said quite proudly, "That's my dad!" (Dad, by the way, had been intently watching the game and had no idea what was going on three inches behind his head.)

As I watched the interaction between the little girls , I thought, "Oh, my God. I've seen this a million times, in school, in bars...hell...everywhere." It was frightening to think that these social situations begin so young. Two dueling females (one of them sometimes not even realizing there is a duel) competing for the attention of a clueless man who has no idea what's going on.

Oh, and lets not forget the brunette who walked away at the slightest hint of competition or confrontation. That would be me.

9 comments:

Mommy said...

Man, that's really kind of sad. But funny!

I'm like the brunette, too.

Laurie said...

Jen - It was strange to watch. Humans are weird.

gawilli said...

I don't know that I would have had the guts to do that when I was younger - it didn't take long for me to figure out who was "in", and who was "out". Nowadays, on the other hand...!!

Laurie said...

Gawilli - I'm still a big scaredy-cat around agressive women.

TexasGal said...

My guess would be the brunette was too smart to to even care there was any type of contest going on between to blonde's.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Did the crowd get involved? Coulda been better than the game....

Laurie said...

Texas Gal - Another possibility. :)

Old Horsetail Snake - Hahaha! No, but it was a great game.

Grimm said...

Julia would probably take things to the next level.

Competition would be nothing a simple clothesline couldn't fix.

That's my girl.

Laurie said...

Grimm - She is SO cute. I watched some of the videos. Adorable! She's a little rock and roller.