Friday, December 31, 2004

I Can't Stop Myself

In Cajun families, we do three things when people leave. We kiss them, we hug them and we say, "Be careful." I don't know why we feel the need to tell people to "be careful." For the most part, most people want to be careful. Some people enjoy living life on the edge as they jump off bridges and climb mountains but I think, for the most part, they are also trying to be careful as they do these ridiculous things.

I wonder if I've prevented an accident with my inevitable "be careful." I wonder if one of my friends or family (or, who am I kidding, I even say it to total strangers) have been on the verge of doing something reckless and thought, "Oh wait a minute. Laurie said 'be careful.' I better not drive off that bridge. Whew, that was close."

8 comments:

Janet said...

No, I don't know what it means to miss New Orleans. I can't miss what I've never had. I DO know, however, that sentence needs a question mark, even if it's rhetorical. Sorry, it's the teacher in me.

Josh said...

Cajuns sound like pretty cool people. I usually say something like "get home safely", and it's redundant, but it's almost like if I don't say it, it's wishing harm on my guest.

"Ok, bye now, I hope you drive into a tree!"

Anonymous said...

I also say be careful, or drive safely and best of all be good. I think its the mother in us.

Sue

Anonymous said...

I've been living in France for 5 years and still say it at least to my husband everytime he leaves. Strange but not a bad thing. :)

Dianne
http://diannemaire.tblog.com/

Lorna said...

we always say "see you later", and when I say it, it's an order! I guess that's my control-freak way of saying "keep safe" in its many kindlier forms.

Anonymous said...

i guess that "be careful" voice in my head was etched in by my ever protective father and yes, it pops up all the time and has probably saved me numerable times without me even realising it!

Denise said...

Hi, I just surfed in via Blog Explosion and wanted to say hello. I wonder if I'm part Cajun because I always tell people to "be careful" when we're saying good bye. Hmmm.

Zina said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE writing letters and sending cards. My closing is always "Take Care!" I guess it comes from that Cajun genetic DNA stuff. But once I saw Aunt Gladys and when we were leaving I said "TAKE CARE!" and she laughed at me. I like to think that MAYBE she thought it was funny that I was grown up enough to tell her to Take Care. If I think of any other reasons why she laughed....I will break a wall that my therapist just isn't ready to tear down yet!
GEE, this is the seond Comment where someone laughed at me. No wonder I need therapy! LOL