Sunday, November 28, 2004

Blast from the Past

In the mid-80's I wrote a newsletter for the law firm I worked for at the time. I've received phone calls and e-mails from some of the people I worked with back then letting me know that they enjoy the blog because it reminds them of when we all worked together.

After a massive search, I finally found copies of the newsletters. It was fun reading the names of all the people I knew so long ago but it put a strain on my brain trying to pull some of the faces from long dormant portions of my memory bank. No matter how hard I try, I still can't picture some of the people I wrote about all those years ago.

In the old days, children, when a person wanted to share a joke or a humorous story with their co-workers, it had to be typed, printed, covertly copied on the company copier and discreetly distributed to only those you could trust not to rat you out to management for frivolous use of office supplies.

From time to time, I will resurrect some of the things I wrote in the newletters but for now, the following is something I found amongst my old papers which was apparently covertly copied and discreetly distributed. I still think it's funny.
We have not succeeded in answering all your problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things.

1 comment:

Lorna said...

My God Laurie, this is so eerie...for years I wrote an employee newsletter---nothing as subversive as yours apparently, but a valiant effor to humanize the bureaucracy nonetheless. If I find you were a teacher, a community development person or a theatre junkie, I'll have to move to Beaumont so that our two brains can be re-united in one body. I suggest, for efficiency's sake, we use yours.