Monday, October 25, 2004

Free Tires for Life!

I recently bought a new car and with this new car the dealership offers "free tires for life." This sounds like a great deal and it truly is. The only catch is that you have to perform all of the scheduled maintenance, including oil changes, at the dealership.

To humor myself, I decided to see how long I could stick with the program. So, today, I called for my first oil change. The cost is $21.95 which isn't bad. I was told it takes about 45 minutes. There goes the lunch hour. My usual drive-thru oil change takes 15 minutes at the most.

The girl who answered the phone at the dealership (we'll call her Hagatha for obvious reasons) seemed nice enough in the beginning. It may have been my fault that she got snippy. I asked her if I could make an appointment and bring my car during my lunch hour. She said I could make an appointment but they don't take appointments between 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. because that's when they go to lunch and they close at 5:00 p.m.

I told her I would like to make an appointment but didn't see how I would be able to do that since they're only available when I'm working. Hagatha's reply was non-verbal. I could hear her eyes rolling through the phone line.

I said, "Okay. If I make an appointment, will they take me at the appointment time so that I can take an early lunch and be back in an hour?"

Hagatha's surly reply: "That's why we make appointments."

Hagatha obviously doesn't go to the same gynocologist I use if she's that confident in having "an appointment."

No comments: