Monday, April 06, 2009

How to freak out the person on the other side of the speaker at a fast food restaurant


I pulled up to the speaker at Popeyes the other day and, while reading the menu trying to decide if I wanted chicken or shrimp, the speaker girl said, "Would you like to try our seafood platter."

Usually, I say something along the lines of, "No, I do not want that. I want what I want and it really annoys me when you people start offering me things before I even start talking, because I have my order in my head and you're confusing me."

Actually, I usually say, "No, I want a taco."

This time, however, I said, "Um, sure! I'll take a seafood platter."

The speaker girl had no response. I sat there for about five seconds and she finally said, "Uh, what side order would you like with that?" I could tell she thought I was just messing with her and that she expected me to say I'd like a side order of chicken beaks with my seafood platter.

I said, "Red beans and rice."

After another moment of silence, she decided to go for the gusto and asked if I wanted to "super-size" my drink. I told her I didn't want a drink and suddenly her voice seemed more normal. Ah, sweet rejection. All was now right in her world.

No comments: