Sunday, April 02, 2006

Sabine River Band at Antone's


Last night we saw Sabine River Band at Antone's. This is a group of local guys who have been playing in the area for several years but, somehow, I had missed catching one of their shows. I'm pretty sure I graduated with the bass player.

The group was terrific and I highly recommend that you check them out if you have the opportunity. The band had two lead vocalists who sang everything from Ray Charles to classic rock, classic funk, classic country and also performed excellent covers of current artists like Maroon 5 and Matchbox 20.

My only complaint is that the talented lead guitar player is evidently shy and has a spot stage left behind one of the lead singers with no lighting on him at all. I had to twist myself into all sorts of weird contortions just to get an occasional glimpse of him. I wish he had been right up front between the two lead singers so we could really watch his solos.

The show was so good, I didn't realize it was 1:00 a.m. and that it was time to go home. I think part of the reason I enjoyed the show so much was that I was back at Antone's where the chairs are comfortable, the drinks are great (drink of the night: Mandarin vodka and cranberry juice) and the sound is always perfect.

Edited to add: I left a post on the Sabine River Band message board and received a response from the lead guitarist's daughter who says that, when there is room on the stage, he is usually all over the place and will occasionally go into the crowd and play the guitar with his teeth while standing on a table! Cool.

5 comments:

Neal said...

It seems like playing a guitar with your teeth would be hard on the strings.

Deek Deekster said...

i am convinced that when i next visit your country, i need only hang out with you for a couple of weekends to have witnessed the best live music in amerikey..

Laurie said...

Neal - That makes my lips tingle.

Deek - By the time we've had a couple of cocktails and a shot or two, you will think you've seen God. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I know Danny real well. His brother and me are good friends. Let us know the next time you are going to see them.

Laurie said...

Clay - I will! It was a great show.