Monday, August 29, 2005

One Last Hurricane Post

This morning, one of my co-workers came into my office and told me that her sister called and one of the levees in New Orleans had burst. She said the French Quarter was flooded up to the second story of all of the buildings. I immediately got online and found out this wasn't true. It turned out that her sister was in another room from her television and had misheard the news.

For that brief two or three minutes until I was sure it wasn't true, a movie ran through my mind of those beautiful townhouses and antique stores under water, Cafe DuMonde under water, Margaritaville under water, St. Louis Cathedral partially submerged. After that visual in my mind's eye, the news that there was minor flooding in the French Quarter and maybe a building or two down left me with an odd and totally inappropriate feeling of relief, especially in light of what was happening in Mississippi and Alabama.

6 comments:

Zina said...

With all of that VooDoo and Ghost running around you had to know that the French Quarter would be protected.

All of this talk makes me want to go back there ASAP!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the rumors of the French Quarter's demise are over exaggerated. However (and forgive me for saying so), those streets could use a good bath a little more often. ;~D

Ed said...

A levee on the lake side has burst and is being reported on several news websites but I have only heard that it affects the poorer east side of town.

Laurie said...

Zina - As of tonight, it may be a while before we can go back. It's not looking good.

Parated2k - It does get pretty stinky but I would love to smell that funk right now.

Ed - Since last night, as you probably already know, another levee has broken and they are having trouble plugging the breech. Horrible.

Zina said...

Yes, I've read about the Levees breaking down.

The Dallas Morning NEws had a huge pictorial today. There was even a picture of the Jesus statue at St. Louis Cathedral. We stayed at the Bourbon Orleans and we saw that statue every morning when we left or came back. I was glad to hear that the trees didn't take it out.

Laurie said...

Zina - I've been trying to find a picture of the statue.