Thursday, January 13, 2011

Just Say Thank You


Today, somebody told me my hair looked nice.  The thoughts that ran through my head simultaneously were:

"Yeah, but...my hair likes this cold, dry weather, but the rest of me hates it.  I can't get warm and my nose burns from the heater never shutting off while I'm sleeping.  I hate cold weather."

and

"Yeah, but...I need a haircut."

and

"Yeah, but...one day it looks good.  The next day it looks like crap.  I have no control over it whatsoever, hence, I cannot accept your compliment."

Instead of saying any of that, my response was, "Thaaaaanks." It was an oh-woe-is-me "thanks" that might have come out of Eeyore's mouth.  My complimenter gave me a confused look, because she could see behind my eyes that there was more to be said.  I just stared back at her until she finally walked away.  Awwwkward. 

Actual elapsed time:  about 5 seconds.  Time spent fretting about it: 12 hours.

I'm trying to teach myself to accept a compliment without also giving a "Yeah, but..." response.  My attempts at self improvement frequently end awkwardly.

2 comments:

Lorna said...

Laurie, Laurie, Laurie, you write a nice blog.

Laurie said...

Sweet Lorna, I'm trying to get back in the groove. I kept over-thinking blog subjects and remembered that, like Seinfeld, I'm really good writing about nothing.