Sunday, August 09, 2009

Dad Update and a Regular Old Blog Post

Dad Update
Dad's home (since Thursday) and getting a little stronger every day. The home health nurse showed up yesterday and turned out to be a very good TJ Alumni friend. We were all in our Sunday "best" (glasses, hair pulled back, little or no makeup), so we didn't recognize each other until I read her name tag and told her who we (me, Terry, Bonnie) were. She did a wonderful job. Thanks, Robyn. It was great seeing a friendly, familiar face. (That's not to say that every doctor and nurse at the hospitals and working for the home health services haven't been wonderful, because they have.)

Regular Old Blog Post
When I was a little girl, the first thing I would do when I went to grandma's house (after the hugs and kisses, of course) was look for her newest Lillian Vernon or Harriet Carter or Miles Kimball catalog.

I would look at those books for hours. I'm still not sure why. It wasn't because I wanted any of that stuff. I guess I was just amazed by the amount and variety of stuff there was out there in the world. To this day, I still look at those catalogues. I don't think I've ever actually bought anything, but I love looking at them.

Of course, now a person can order from these places online. Maybe I'll do a little shopping. I really want one of those windshield cleaning thingys.

4 comments:

Rebecca Hickman said...

The Lillian Vernon catalog is a great place to shop for gifts. Not everything is tacky. The company even personalizes items for free. We've gone through 2 customized "Roxxy and Jake" dog blankets. Our dogs think it's delicious.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I can't pass up those catalogs either; I'm pretty sure my mother actually ordered from them now and then.

Glad Dad's getting along better.

Lorna said...

I've never heard of those catalogues. I count myself lucky to have heard of Chico's and Coldwater Creek.

Unknown said...

I kind of miss getting them in the mail. But I guess that is progress.