Thursday, July 21, 2005

Reunion Crasher

Friday night, I’m going with my sister Terry to her pre-class reunion social. It’ll be girl’s night for me, Terry, Melissa, Bonnie and our friend Judy. It occurs to me that I don't think I've ever told any Judy stories. We’ve known Judy since elementary school and in high school we became best friends. However, we both dated guys who were total opposites which eventually led to us spending less and less time together. It’s one of those friendships though that bubbles right back up to where it left off whenever we see each other.

Of the five of us who are going to the social Friday night, Terry and Judy are the only two who actually graduated in 1975 from Thomas Jefferson in Port Arthur. Bonnie, Melissa and I, however, grew up with those in the class from the ‘hood (Lakeview) so we always crash the Friday night social. The strange thing is I worked the door at my mom and Bonnie’s class reunions and I’m attending Terry’s pre-reunion but I didn’t go to my own reunion. I hung out with a lot more of the people in Terry’s class than I did in my own so I’m looking forward to it. Whereas the hippies and brains I hung out with in my own class rarely attend my reunions, the people I knew in Terry’s class usually show up.

I’m the designated driver tomorrow which always puts a different twist on things. Herding four drunk heifers around all night should be interesting to say the least. Night fev-ah, night fev-ahhhhhhhh!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang... has it been 30 years already? Give Terry (and I probably know Judy too, though you didn't mention a last name) and anyone else not staggering my regards.

LG

Donna said...

I think other folks' reunions are infinitely more fun than my own. I always leave wondering how I was able to STAND most of those people every single day all those years ago.

Have a great time!

Lorna said...

There were only 8 people in my high school graduating class: 3 are nuns, one died tragically, leaping from a bridge, and the rest have led lives of quiet desperation. Except me. If we were to get together it would have to be on the highway to heaven.

Unknown said...

You'll have to tell me all about it. I'm actually planning to go to the reunion of my class of 1975. Mrs. CA has graciously declined to go. I figure that, at the very least, I'll get a good post out of it.

Laurie said...

LG - I will spread the word. I'm pretty sure you know Judy. I hate to mention her last name without checking with her first.

Donna - It should be fun!

Lorna - That's a lot different from my class of 600+

Comfort Addict - I'm counting on getting a good post myself.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree with Comfort Addict, I want a good post from this; details, details... names (first are ok I'll know many of them) I will not break my school reunion perfect non-attendance record, so I depend on the detailed gossip related to me by those that do attend. LG

OldHorsetailSnake said...

No shots of Cuervo for Queen Tex? What a swell person YOU are!

Laurie said...

LG - You missed a great time. There's still time for you to go to the actual reunion tonight. Terry's entourage won't be there but she'll be there with her husband. I know everyone would love to see you.

Old Horsetail - I can be swell when I want to be. By 2:00 a.m., I had a hell of a time getting all four of those women into my car to leave the last bar we went to. It was like herding cats.