Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Vortex, Southern Embers and Shotgun Hustler


Last night I went to the Vortex with Jack and some people from work to catch the band of the husband and brother of one of the girls I work with. The Vortex has a reputation of being a rough place, so it wasn't an easy sell. However, we were able to coerce some of our more adventurous co-workers to venture out.

The Vortex is a great little club which provides a venue for local bands, newer groups and less mainstream music. We're lucky to have a place like this in southeast Texas and it needs our support. Hey, where else can you watch great music while sitting in an orange swivel rocker like your grandma used to have in her living room?

The music last night was great. My friends' band, Southern Embers, sounded wonderful. They are not only talented musicians but creative songwriters, as well. The opening band was Shotgun Hustler who I also enjoyed. They played some punk influenced songs which I love but rarely make an effort to see live. I need to work on that.

(Posting note: Every time I try to add links, parts of my post disappears, so I give up. You'll just have to Google Southern Embers, Shotgun Hustler and The Vortex.)

6 comments:

Mommy said...

Did the guy who "smells really good" go???

Laurie said...

Jen - Yes, he was and he was working the room. His wife really shouldn't let him out alone. :)

Grimm said...

Around the Wheeling area where we used to live we had the Povertyneck Hillbillies, who are slowly become more well known.

Laurie said...

Grimm - I checked out their website. They'd fit right in down here.

Mommy said...

AHhhhhh!!! I wish I'd been there. :)

Laurie said...

abcJen - I wish you were there, too...and Destiny!