Monday, January 01, 2007

Last Adventure of 2006 and First Adventure of 2007

Last night, I decided to stay in and watch my favorite "feel good" movie, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and read my new Anthony Bourdain book. That didn't happen.

My sister Terry called me at around 7:00 p.m. to tell me they were headed downtown. I told her my plans and she called bullshit on them. I called bullshit on her and laid back on the couch. After about five minutes of couch laying, I began to rethink my evening. Terry called again from Crockett Street at about 9:00 p.m. and I pulled my lazy ass off the couch, threw on some warpaint and met her, Dan and Alpha at the Star Bar. (I also ran into my son's friend Ryan...Hi, Ryan!...who told me he reads this blog every day. That really made my night. Thanks, Ryan!)

At about 11:30 a.m. we went out to the street but it was too cold for me. I told them I was going into TEN and would find them later. They decided to go with me to TEN. There was a great five piece jazz group called Loco Motif. I can't find a website on them but I think they're out of Houston. I found myself a corner and told them I wasn't moving.

I also committed my first act of petty larceny of 2007 in TEN. I ordered a Pama and vodka which the bartender gave to me in a plastic glass and charged me $6.00. No problem because it was very heavy on the Skyy vodka. Later, the waitress charged me $8.25 for the exact same drink except that it was served in a martini glass. Since I felt $2.25 was a pretty hefty surcharge for the privilege of drinking out of a glass versus drinking out of a plastic cup, I stole a menu.

TEN gave everyone free champagne at midnight and, eventually, Terry and Dan left. So, I told Alpha I wanted to check out the new club she had been talking about called Nell's Place (they don't have a website either). The club is beautiful inside with a huge mural of New Orleans on the back wall and the music was fabulous blues, R&B and zydeco. Here are the specifics for Nell's:

Address:
500 Franklin at Park
Beaumont, TX 77701

Hours:
Tuesday - Friday Open at 5pm
Saturday - Open at 7pm
Happy Hour - Tuesday - Friday 5-7pm

Phone:
(409) 838-3839

9 comments:

Serena said...

Looks like you had yourself a great time after all. Now, aren't you glad you got up off that couch?

Just as a comment from the peanut gallery, Don and Brent make for some very nice scenery. :)

Anonymous said...

Way cool. Beaumont, as seen through your eyes, looks a whole lot cooler than the A-T-L! I am very sure you have a whole lot more fun than I do!! I was thinking they were cute too, Serena Joy. Laurie has all the cute guys on her blog! ;)

"smpus"

Laurie said...

Serena Joy - Aren't they cuties?

Sophmom - I bet there's lots to do and lots of cuties in A-T-L. Do I need to come over there and take you on a search?

rkfinnell said...

Glad someone had a good time. I was asleep by 9:30

Grimm said...

Happy New Year Laurie!

Thanks for putting up with my silly comments, but I resolve to be more intellectual in 2007.

As if.

Laurie said...

Roxan - That's about the time I got up off the couch.

Grimm - Thank God you were bluffing. :)

LoryKC said...

Looks like a great time! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Yeah. Otherwise, I'll never get out of the house! *sigh* ;)

Laurie said...

Lory KC - Same to you!

Sophmom - ((checking on flights))