Wednesday, December 13, 2006

You're SO Weird!

I've been tagged by Grimm to give you six weird things about me. I had a little trouble at first until I put myself in my sisters’ heads and thought about all the times they have said to me, “You’re weird.” Once I did that, it was easy and I couldn’t stop at six.

1. I can talk like Donald Duck.

“You’re weird!”

2. I can cross one eye at a time.

“You’re weird!”

3. I hate to wear shoes when I’m indoors.

“You’re weird!”

4. I rarely, how shall I put this, pass gas (either direction). I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve burped out loud. This might not be a big deal in your family, but, in mine, it’s a constant source of amazement.

“You’re weird!”

5. My house and my office always look neat but every cabinet, drawer and closet is a mess.

“You’re weird!”

6. No matter how long I'm gone on vacation, I read all of the newspapers I missed when I get home.

“You’re weird!”

7. I'm a little bit psychic but have no control over it whatsoever. However, it makes me eerily good at Trivial Pursuit.

“You’re weird!”

8. Reading or laying on the couch at less than a 45 degree angle puts me straight to sleep. Ergo, I have to watch foreign sub-titled movies in increments. I tried to watch Seven Samurai last night and fell so deeply asleep that I woke up three hours later. It took me three sittings to finish Cyrano.

“You’re weird!”

9. I sleep so soundly that I have literally slept through a train wreck less than half a block from my house.

“You’re weird!”

10. I’ve seen a ghost. I moved two weeks later.

“You’re weird!”

11. I used to be able to name all of the previous top ten contestants on each season of American Idol. This season, however, the little man who lives in my brain decided “enough is enough” and erased that memory bank.

“You’re weird!”

12. If I don’t wash my face before I go to bed, it bugs me…a lot.

“You’re weird!”

13. I’m an annoyingly cautious driver.

“You’re weird!”

14. I was anorexic in high school. This was, and still is, a big deal in my “healthy” eating Cajun family.

“You’re weird!”

15. I have a really high tolerance for pain. (I think it has something to do with lots of broken bones, sprains, bad shoulders, two kidney stones, countless gall bladder attacks and a partridge in a pear tree.)

“You’re weird!”

16. I’m a pretty good country western dancer but I am also very clumsy and a total klutz (see sprains and broken bones above).

“You’re weird!”

17. I used to think I was afraid of heights and roller coasters and anything that goes fast but I’ve decided instead that I’m afraid of falling off of heights and roller coasters and anything that goes fast.

“You’re weird!”

18. For some reason, I think stair rails are the most germy things in the world.

“You’re weird!”

19. If I consume too much Aspartame (NutraSweet) I have BIG problems with my memory.

“You’re weird!”

20. I think cockroaches, especially the flying ones, are the vilest thing on earth. I hate them worse than spiders, snakes, rats and yes, even frogs.

“You’re weird!”

21. I have a horrible voice but I love to sing but only when I’m alone.

“You’re weird!”

22. Although I’m a big hard rock/punk/new wave fan, I love Barry Manilow, The Carpenters and Bread.

“You’re weird!”

23. Although I can drink more than the average woman my size without being drunk, on occasion, I have had to be driven home and put to bed after only two or three drinks. This even happened in New Orleans once.

“You’re weird!”

24. My feet and/or my fingers tap when music is playing, even television commercials and background music in movies. I usually don’t even know I’m doing it. I absolutely cannot listen to Cajun music without my feet going crazy.

“You’re weird!”

25. Sometimes I talk in my sleep. Actually, it’s more like crying and screaming. For some reason, people find this disturbing.

“You’re weird!”

26. I can’t believe I came up with 25 of these!

“You are SO weird!”

I'm supposed to tag six other people but I prefer to let you choose. If you do the six weird things, leave us a note in the comments with a link to your blog or just leave us your six (or more) weird things about you in the comments.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

This should be fun!!! Poodles

1. I whistle songs, and most of the time, I don't even realize that I am whistlig.

2. I never go to bed until I have brushed my teeth, washed my face, and taken a shower -- in that order.

3. My sheets and pillow cases must match, and I don't like to get into a bed if the covers are messed up.

4. I do not like to drink out of the same glass twice. If I refill, I want another glass. However, this pertains only to soft drinks, tea, etc. I will continue to drink wine from the same glass all evening, unless of course I switch from white to red!

5. I put a paper towel on my vanity when I put my makeup on because I don't like my bottles or cases to actually touch the top of the vanity. I also do this when I take my contacts out or put them in.

6. The handles of shopping carts totally freak me out. You never know who has touched them.

7. Pay phones. I refuse to use them. Thank the Good Lord for cell phones!

8. Other people's feet gross me out.

There's more, but I'm out of time.

Laurie said...

Poodles - Excellent! I especially like the paper towel thing.

I forgot my foot thing:

27. I don't like getting pedicures. I almost passed out once while getting a pedicure.

Grimm said...

Laurie, I totally bow down to your listing prowess.

Good grief, this list is freaking awesome. It makes me want to go back and add a Part II to mine!

#2 made me go screaming out of the room. Something in my genetic makeup cannot handle this.

Thanks again. You rock.

thenewmrsf said...

I completely agree with you re: cockroaches - I can't imagine why on earth the good Lord felt it necessary to create them.

1. I love the way freezers smell-I'll stick my whole head in one and take a big whiff.

2. I hate the way cotton balls feel. Something about their texture makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

3. Right before I get into bed, I check to make sure the doors of my house are locked, even if I just checked them 2 minutes earlier.

4. I always flush public toilets with my foot, even those really high ones.

5. I have to wear something on my feet to enter my utility room 'cuz the dirty cat box is in there and I think it's disgusting to walk barefoot around it...doesn't matter if the floor was just swept & mopped.

6. The opening of my pillow cases have to be facing outwards, away from the center of the bed, before I can lay my head down.

I LOVE these, Laurie...is THAT weird?!?

Anonymous said...

Well I got tagged for this and have really procrastinated. Now that I have read your list I guess I am pretty weird, too. Many of the things on your list would be on mine - but I really didn't think of them as wierd - just me!

Anonymous said...

She is also freakishly strong. Her upper body strength never ceases to amaze me.

Baby sis

P.S.-One of my weird things is I'm extremely smart but inherited my dad's lack of ability to spell well.

Laurie said...

Grimm - You are too kind ((she said as she crossed and uncrossed one eye)).

Mrs. F. - I love these, too! I don't feel so weird anymore. I totally agree about the COTTON BALLS and sometimes Kleenex gives me the creeps. I usually have to walk back to the front door to be sure I locked it when I'm leaving for a trip.

Gawilli - Heck, yeah. We aren't weird. Well, we aren't TOO weird.

Baby Sis - Ah, yes, my freakish upper body strength. I forgot that one, too. Damn, I'm weird.

Serena said...

No way do I think you're all that weird, Laurie -- not when I have so many of the same "weird" traits myself. I DO wish I could talk like Donald Duck. I've never been able to do that. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Your list is awesome! You made me laugh out loud. Great stuff. We actually have a lot in common, except for #2. I can't cross my eyes and it freaks me out when other people do it.

Laurie said...

Serena Joy - I actually forgot I could do it until I started writing this post. I should talk like Donald Duck more often. Everyone should. :)

Leslie - I'm so glad to know that a lot of people do some of this stuff.

Anonymous said...

Laurie,
This is Rhonda. For some reason I could not log on.

I have these in common with you: 2, 7, 9 (there was never a train wreck by my house, but I COULD sleep through one), 10 (I have experienced several supernatural events, most of which freaked me out), 20 (I have discovered that the further south you are, the bigger the roaches are. I call them Giant Roaches From Hell), and 22.

In addition:
1. I cannot use the same towel on my hair that I used on my body when getting out of the shower.

2. I really don't like country music, but I love to line dance.

3. I make everyone lock the car doors and buckle-up before I put the car in drive (you never know when you are going to get car-jacked).

4. I use anti-bacterial wipes on the desk that I sit in when entering class, because college kids are GERMY.

5. I don't have a garage, so when the weather forcast is for hail, I have to park under a tree, thinking that the tree will deflect the hailstones.

6. I have to eat M&Ms by color, from lightest to darkest, with blue, then green last.

I am sure there is more, but, you know, I don't want to seem TOO weird.

Laurie said...

Rhonda - I am enjoying everyone's weird stuff WAY too much. Sounds like you and I need to have a game of Trivial Pursuit.

Anonymous said...

OK...I am very weird. Here are a few:

1. I sing constantly. I try to sing so others don't notice when in a professional setting, etc. My mother passed on a very silly disease in which, if you hear a string of words, you must burst into corresponding song lyrics. Example: When someone says, "Hey Lady!" I continue with "You've got the love I need..." and I will proceed to sing ALL of "Over the Hills and Far Away" if someone doesn't stop me.

2. I love to make lists, but rarely follow them.

3. I am the only person anyone knows under the age of 60 who drinks V.O.

4. I am so amused by myself I laugh loudly at my own jokes.

5. I do not have any tattoos. (Very weird in my demographic.)

6. Beauty salons make me feel like a transvestite.

7. I really dislike it when people I'm not very tight with touch me.

8. I would rather be living in a teepee by the river or a shack by the sea.

9. I don't have cable TV.

10. I don't eat swine.

11. I am addicted to quizzes and games such as this.

I know there are TONS more, but I'm having trouble separating them out -- they are quite numerous.

From, La "Beta Sucks!" Sirena

Laurie said...

La Sirena - Hahahahah!! Those are great! I'm a list person, too.

Zina said...

You do know that from now on you will be doing that Donald Duck voice for everyone that has read this blog.


I'm coming home in January...warm up those vocal chords!

I'm so weird I don't know what is weird about me....but I will check with my friends to come up with a list.

Laurie said...

Zina - "I can't wait to see your list," she said, warming up her vocal cords.

Inca From Peru said...

1.) I am not particularly religious, but there are a half-dozen or so TV clergy I will go to great lengths to not miss their shows; everything from Catholic priests to some guys of whom I have no real idea what denomination they represent. There's even a rabbi for Jesus guy I like to watch. I don't know the reasons behind this, except I am certain it is not some wayward search for spiritual truth (which is what my family thinks.)

2.) I don't like sushi or steak tartar or anything like that, but I went through a stage as a kid where I really liked raw bacon. My mom nearly went crazy over this, she told me I would get trichinosis for sure. So I had to sneak the bacon. You haven't known shame until you have been caught red-handed, or rather greasy-handed, sneaking a strip of raw Hormel out of the ice box.

3.) Since I was a kid, whenever I mow the yard I sometimes absentmindedly create vaguely geometric shapes before I finish and everything is even. They kind of look like crop circles sometimes. When I notice them, I never have any conscious recollection at the time of trying to make them. My wife says it just gives more creedence to her growing conviction that I am a weird-ass alien of some sort. Maybe. I should add I sometimes mix alcohol with yardwork.

4.) I haven't seen any ghosts and I don't really believe in that stuff. I did see my doppelganger once; Webster's or somebody defines that as "one's own spiritual wraith" which is pretty close, but I believe someone has to be dead for a ghost to be hanging around. BTW, it would take a lot more space than here to tell that doppelganger story. And we won't even talk about the time I tripped over a banshee while running through my back yard in the dark one night.

5.) I am haunted by plenty of live people; but no dead one's, so far as I know.

Laurie said...

Inca - Holy cow! Those are all blog posts waiting to be written. I demand to see a post about the Doppelganger.