Saturday, December 16, 2006

Get Thee Behind Me, Santa...I mean, Satan


I woke up early this morning because I fell asleep on the couch last night while trying to watch March of the Penguins. Evidently, reading foreign subtitles aren't the only thing that puts me to sleep no matter how good the movie is. Morgan Freeman's soothing voice rocked me to sleep like a tiny little baby under my warm feather comforter.

I was supposed to be killing time before meeting my sister out at Crockett Street to join her and some of her work buddies for their Christmas Festivus but Morgan Freeman fucked that up. Since I fell asleep so early, I also woke up early. I tried to stay in bed but that didn't work so I got up around 7:00 a.m and began wandering around the house instead of doing something constructive.

I did a little of this and I did a little of that before sitting at my computer to read some blogs, answer e-mails, play some solitaire, work a Sunday New York Times crossword and just, generally, screw around. That all went to hell when a loud BANGGGGGGGGGGGG shook my whole house at around 8:30 a.m.

"Holy, shit," I thought. "What the hell was that?"

It was too early to call my family to see if they heard anything so I went outside to see if there were any other neighbors outside checking out the scene. ("Checking out the scene" is "groovy talk" to you young folks.) Nobody was outside, so, I could only assume something blew up or fell down inside my townhouse. I cautiously walked back inside.

I went out to the garage and checked the hot water heater and opened my garage door. I checked out the roof, both front and back. No Santa. I was really hoping for Santa.

I came back in the house and opened all my closets expecting, no hoping, to find a fallen shelf because my big fear was that my new air conditioner had blown up in my attic. All of my closets were fine and, after turning on my air conditioner then my heater, that seemed to be fine, too.

So, here I am, three hours later. I still haven't done anything constructive but, my house hasn't burnt down or anything so I consider that a damn good morning.

I watch a lot of movies and television shows about hauntings and when they drive the evil spirits out, sometimes a loud bang is heard. Maybe, when I said my morning prayers today, I finally drove Satan out of here. Now that would be a productive morning.

13 comments:

Serena said...

How bizarre! When you hear a bang that big, you really expect something to have happened.

You would NOT like my house. I have an actual ghost in residence. Her name is Eleanor, and she's always pulling pranks like turning the water on in the middle of the night. When I hear a bang but don't blow up or burn, I know it's just Eleanor playing around.:)

Laurie said...

Serena Joy - You want to hear bizarre? I just this second left a comment on your blog. Is that synchronicity or serendipity?

Very cool on the ghost! I love to hear about ghosts. I just don't want to live with one.

Serena said...

Daaaang! That really was synchronicity at work.:)

I don't mind living with Eleanor, b/c I've never seen her. Everybody else in the house has. I think that if she ever wakes me up standing over me, that'll be all she wrote. LOL.

Laurie said...

Serena - That's exactly what happened to me (or maybe you knew that already). Read about it here...
http://missneworleans.blogspot.com/2004/10/true-ghost-story.html

Serena said...

Ooooo! I hadn't read that. I'd have been so freaked out I don't think I could ever have slept a wink there. I can deal with "hearing" Eleanor, and putting up with her turning on the water and hiding my keys and stuff -- as long as I don't SEE her. My husband has seen her; claims he wasn't a bit scared. My step-daughter refuses to sleep in the guestroom when she visits because she's seen her, too. After a couple of times of locking the bedroom door at night and finding it standing open in the morning, she stays in a hotel now. I'll probably do the same if I ever wake up and find Eleanor staring at me.

I'm curious -- did you ever research the history of the apartment?

Laurie said...

Serena - Since it was an apartment, there wasn't any way to check public records as to who lived there before and I was hesitant to mention it to my landlord. I just moved.

What about your house?

Serena said...

You never heard any stories in the neighborhood about anything happening to some former resident there? Of course, I guess it's possible that your ghost may have lived in a house that was on the property before the apartments.

Eleanor died here, in a downstairs bedroom. I guess she thinks it's still her house.:)

Peter said...

Things that go bump (or bang) in the night (or morning) can be a worry Laurie.

Laurie said...

Serena - I didn't speak to my neighbors much. I'm not a very neighborly neighbor. At least you know who your ghost is.

Peter - I need to check the news and see if something blew up somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Yikes. I just about forgot about the main post, reading your ghost story for the first time. Very scary stuff. Let us know if/when you find out what went boom. :/

Laurie said...

Sophmom - Still no signs of what it might have been. Maybe it was just an electrical transformer in the neighborhood or something.

Grimm said...

I am a definate believer in ghosts as I had a experience that I swear to this day was my mother.

I was asleep in my apartment, and was awoken to somone humming. When I looked to the side of the bed, I swear the rocking chair was rocking on its own. The chair was on carpet so I don't think the wind could have done it.

I once drilled my neighbors siding with a golf ball testing out a new 7-iron. Sounded like a gunshot. LoL.

Awaiting further updates on your "Big Bang".

Laurie said...

Grimm - Hmmmm...maybe I need to look for golfers in my neighborhood. I still don't know what it could have been. Whatever it was, it didn't feel like it came from the ground. It seemed to come from above. (I was upstairs at the time.)