Thursday, December 14, 2006

Synchronicity and Serendipity

I sometimes confuse serendipity with synchronicity and vice versa. According to a search of a few of the online dictionaries, these words are defined thusly:

Serendipity – Good luck in making fortunate discoveries by accident
Synchronicity – Coincidence of events that seem to be meaningfully related

Some could go on and on debating Carl Jung and his theories on the underlying order of the universe. Not that anyone would be surprised, but I, of course, completely believe in an underlying order of the universe.

Here is an experiment in synchronicity I want you to try, with or without smoking pot. (Sure, I smoked pot in the 70’s but I definitely didn’t NOT inhale.) Turn on a television program, preferably cartoons, and put on some music in the background. I guarantee you will be amazed at the synchronicity between the audio and the video.

How does this prove synchronicity, you ask? It doesn’t.
What does this have to do with serendipity, you wonder? Nothing.
Has Laurie gone completely off her nut, you worry? To quote The Magic 8 Ball, "Signs point to, yes."

8 comments:

se7en said...

Uhmm ok, whatever you say there... "sugar biscuit" LOL

Steve said...

Does it help if the music you put on is actually "Synchronicity?" I'm having a problem getting Spongebob to synch up with Butthole Surfers. Although, I think Squidward may, in fact, be sharing Sharon's outlook on the topic of disease.

Anonymous said...

Man! What was in you sushi last night?

Baby sis

Serena said...

I get the two words confused all the time, too; tend, in fact, to use them interchangeably. In my defense, I never didn't inhale, either, and a few brain cells might have been harmed. :)

Laurie said...

Se7en - Everything sounds better when you add a "sugar biscuit" at the end, doesn't it?

Pokerboss - It won't completely synch like Dark Side of the Moon and Wizard of Oz but there are usually moments that are freaky.

Baby Sis - Mmmmmmm, sushi.

Serena Joy - Ah, too few to mention.

Anonymous said...

The beginning stages of dementia are really scarry!!! Poodles

Grimm said...

I try to avoid all words that have more than 3 syllables.

I synchro'ed up Scooby-Doo with the Beastie Boys. Groooooovy.

Laurie said...

Poodles - At least my dementia won't be my problem. It will be yours...and yours ((pointing her pointy finger))...and yours ((pointing her pointy finter))...

Grimm - Oh, that sounds very groovy!