Sunday, February 18, 2007

An Unintentional New Hobby


I have an embarrassing confession to make. While I have watched Blind Date, Honeymoon in Vegas and The Burbs at least a dozen times each, there are a lot classics I have never seen. For someone who has no qualms about ringing up a huge Amazon purchase and who has every movie channel available on digital cable, I'm a bit ashamed of myself.

Saturday night, I watched The Seven Samurai for the first time. I was so engrossed by the movie that, at times, I felt like I was actually understanding the Japanese language rather than reading the english subtitles. I expected the movie to be mostly about fighting but the characters were fascinating and I was surprised that there were even some romantic subplots. Next time I have three hours to burn, I'll watch it again.

Last year, I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time and, in the last two weeks, I have finally seen Star Wars (the first one!) and Life of Brian. So many movies, so little time.

13 comments:

Kelly said...

Make sure you check out "Rashomon." I finally watched it after hearing so many current movies described as "Rashomon-like" and found it fascinating!

Steve said...

Watch the next two Star Wars movies and then stop. In fact, you have no choice because there are only 3 Star Wars movies. I'll loan you the discs when you're ready.

Gina said...

Somehow I wus first and my comments got ate up... anyhoo...if you really want to show your love for me...check this out...http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=si-for-charity

Laurie said...

Cynikell - I put it in my Amazon shopping cart. Thanks!

Pokerboss - Oh, hell's bells. You know me better than that. I have until Tuesday to buy them off of Amazon. :)

Jersey - Holy cow! That's pretty cool.

Peter said...

As you said Laurie, so many movies so little time.... sad isn't it.

rkfinnell said...

The Seven Samurai? You are much braver than I and less likely to squirm. LOL

Steve said...

Buy something else off Amazon. Let me have some small part in sticking to at least one of these resolutions. The whole blog-cation went to hell in a bucket. If I help with the lent thing, maybe somebody will leave the back door to heaven cracked enough that I can slide my heathen ass in.

Lorna said...

I've been missing you. And it's nice to hear you've come over to the dark side....are you a "Firefly" series lover? If not, give yourself a treat and watch the pitifullly few yet entirely wonderful 13 episodes. Then blog about it.

Laurie said...

Peter - So true.

Roxan - No squirming at all!

Pokerboss - Peg and I will pull you through.

Lorna - Hope you had a wonderful trip. Jack is a big Firefly fan, too. I'll have to borrow his DVDs.

Zina said...

DOn't feel bad...Maria has never seen the Star Wars movies and she's never seen ET. And she works in a movie theatre. Sad isn't?

You need to post a list of the movies you've never seen so everyone can tell you which ones they love. Maybe that will help you decide what to watch.

Ever watch the ALIAS series? Great show. Awesome! show.

Laurie said...

Zina - The list is an excellent idea! I've never seen Alias but I did love ET.

Grimm said...

Seven Samurai? Interesting. Never heard of that or Rashomon. And hear I thought I knew about those types of films.

I shall check them out.

And I have yet to see "Lifr of Brian", but I am sure Leslie will remedy that.

Laurie said...

I definitely have to check out Rashomon.