Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Something Else to Worry About


Ever heard of geomagnetic reversal? Yeah, me neither. I'm not sure how we got on the subject here in the office but this paragraph is a tad worrisome:

The Earth's magnetic north pole is drifting from northern Canada towards Siberia with a presently accelerating rate -- 10km per year at the beginning of the 20th century, up to 40km per year in 2003. It is also unknown if this drift will continue to accelerate.

Now, that's just weird. I guess I'll have to ask Jack about this one since he's the smartest person I know. However, I either won't understand his explanation or he's going to scare the crap out of me. Either way, I do love to hear him talk smart.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

If everything reverses does that mean my metabolic rate will increase and I'll have a sexy bod. I might be looking forward, I mean backward to this

Larry Jones said...

I like the new look of your blog. Did I miss the post where you announced the change? Or did you just not announce it? Is the "new" Blogger responsible for this?

Mommy said...

One of my college professors talked about geometric reversal, and apparently it’s something that happens from time to time (speaking in eons). The poles move around. Apparently, it’s nothing to worry about too much. But still, I like to think they're all wrong and we're all doomed.

Laurie said...

Baby Sis (?) - I'm assuming it's you. Can you imagine if everything went backward? I guess I'm overthinking this but I don't like the sound of it.

Larry - I just had some time on my hands one rainy Sunday (or was it a Saturday?) and I finally figured out how to change my header. I was ready for a cleaner look.

Jen - Doomed! Doomed I tell you!!

Serena said...

Yeah, but drifting poles won't matter all that much if the asteroid hits us. LOL.

Zina said...

I just talked about this with our electrician the other day. The seasons will be backwards winter will be summer etc.

that could be interesting.

Laurie said...

Serena - Oh, yeah. I read about the asteroid, too.

Zina - I know and what about motors and stuff? Don't they have something to do with magnets? Computers?

Steve said...

In 2,345,935,227 years and 4 months, Beaumont will be the north pole. And you thought it was too cold to go see Robert Earl Keen!

Grimm said...

Well if all of this is true, I need to go get me some beachfront property in Antartica while to rate is so cheap!

Peter said...

I hadn't heard about this Laurie, is the South pole keeping up or is the earth distorting, ya need to know this stuff.

Laurie said...

Pokerboss - The good news is I'll be dead (and hopefully not reincarnated) by then.

Grimm - We'll get Neal to scope us out some land.

Peter - Who the heck knows. It's freaky.