Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Whoa, Nelly!

Several months ago, my sister Terry asked me if I wanted to go with her and her 14 year old daughter to see Nelly at Ford Arena. I said, "Sure, why not?" So, Terry purchased tickets for me, her, her hairdresser, her nail tech and my niece. The concert is this Friday and Terry just called to tell me that my niece has (wisely) decided she doesn’t want to go to the concert with four grownups (smart girl) and her ticket will instead be used by our friend Melissa.

The last time I went to a concert with Terry and Melissa, they ended up wrestling on the floor in front of the stage for a drumstick thrown by a Doobie Brother. That is the absolute truth. They were, literally, on the ground wrestling for the drumstick. Several years later, I was at work talking about the drumstick wrestling incident and one of the girls I work with, who had front row seats for the same Doobie Brothers concert, told me they had seen the whole thing and have been talking about those two insane women who fought over a Doobie Brothers drumstick for years.

Something tells me I’m in for an interesting evening.

12 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Maybe you can get Nelly to hock an oyster, see if somebody wants to put it on eBay.

Kimberly said...

Nelly the rapper or Nelly Furtado?

Laurie said...

Old Horsetail - That is disgustingly hilarious! I'll bring a jar, just in case.

Momma K - Nelly the Rapper.

Unknown said...

I'm not acquainted with Nelly's work. Give us all of the details - especially if there's wrestling, part deux (or anything similar).

Anonymous said...

Should be a great concert even if you aren't a rap fan! Have a blast!

Lorna said...

A. Wear sunglasses
B. Really, really listen to the lyrics
C. Give your ticket to a friend.

And on an entirely different note, I love the idea of a fight over a drumstick---sounds like Thanksgiving at the family homestead.

Zina said...

Who won? OR do they split custody on this drumstick? Just so you know this left a strange picture in my head....Melissa is ten feet taller than Terry and both would seem to fight dirty...I'm surprised it didn't end up someone's nose.

Nelly is awesome!

Rik said...

I can top that - I once wrestled for a drumstick at a Stryper concert! It was with a middle aged guy behind me who was there with his little kid. I felt so after the concert, I turned to give it to the kid and they had already left.

Oh well! Still got the drumstick...

Rik

Anonymous said...

Ya'll are too funny. I can't believe katie wouldn't wanna go just the entertainment of ya'll would be worth the money!

Danno said...

If I read about a woman being put into a Full Nelson over Nelly's band-aid on Drudge tommorow, I'll know who to ask for the full story!

Kimberly said...

Have fun tonight!!

Laurie said...

Comfort Addict - I wish I could bring my camera in. My sister at a rap concert should be quite a show.

Tanda - I can't wait!

Lorna - Hahaha! Different drumstick, same theory. That's great!

Zina - Terry arose victorious with the drumstick. And, they did fight dirty. It was all elbows and assholes.

Rik - You probably scarred that poor kid for life. Not that you should feel bad or anything.

Kara - Let's put this into perspective, shall we? How would YOU like to go see Nelly with your mom and my mom and Aunt Bernice and Aunt Gladys?

Danno - You can get the scoop here!

Momma K - Will do! Pray for me!!