Thursday, June 23, 2005

Do the Math

The following McDonald's ad for the McFlurry, Sundae and Cones might at first appear idiotic since it so obviously states the obvious. However, it made me think about last weekend when my sister and I and our friend Melissa worked the door at my other sister's class reunion.



Posted by Hello


As we were getting our instructions from Bonnie, Melissa asked how much money we had to collect. Bonnie said, "It's $35 per person and $65 per couple." Melissa took out a piece of paper and wrote the following:


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I looked at the paper and then looked at Melissa and said, "What's that?" She said, "It's our cheat sheet in case someone gives us a hundred dollar bill." I busted out laughing until I realized she was serious. I said, "I'm sorry. I thought you were kidding. Thanks." I've probably mentioned before that Melissa is a very intelligent person. Sure, she's insane, but, she's also very smart.

The joke was on me. After three Malibu Rum and Pineapple Juice cocktails, I was using the hell out of Melissa's cheat sheet. I don't know if it was because I knew I had that little crutch sitting there on the table right in front of me, but I swear to you, every time someone handed me a hundred dollar bill, my mind went completely blank and I had to look at Melissa's wonderful little sheet of paper to give the correct change.

Then again, it might have been the rum.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've known some very smart people who don't do arithmetic well. Personally, I'm the human calculator. I use this talent all the time at stores, work, etc. Then again, I'm a very strange individual.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

And nobody said "Keep the change"? Poor tippers, you ask me.

Laurie said...

Comfort Addict - My son has always been a math wiz. I like math and I can do it but I really need pencil and paper. Cory can do the most amazing things in his head when it comes to numbers.

Old Horsetail - No tips. We had to settle for free drinks. Not a bad deal, actually.

Aisha said...

absolutely hilarious-- and of course so true --)

Love that you even had it photographed for us to see :)

Laurie said...

Aisha - Hi! Actually, it's not a photo, it's Paint. :)