Sunday, June 19, 2005

Friday Night Quotes (Two Days Late) - Comedy

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy, and a tragedy.
Mark Twain

The Four Levels of Comedy: Make your friends laugh, make strangers laugh, get paid to make strangers laugh, and make people talk like you because it's so much fun.
Jerry Seinfeld

Comedy is very controlling. You are making people laugh. It is there in the phrase 'making people laugh.' You feel completely in control when you hear a wave of laughter coming back at you that you have caused.
Gilda Radner

Our first gig was a battle of the bands. We did 45 minutes of comedy and never played a note - and we won!
Cheech Marin

You must realize that honorary degrees are given generally to people whose SAT scores were too low to get them into schools the regular way. As a matter of fact, it was my SAT scores that led me into my present vocation in life, comedy.
Neil Simon

You can think of Hollywood as high school. TV actors are freshmen, comedy actors are maybe juniors, and dramatic actors - they're the cool seniors.
Owen Wilson

Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
Peter Ustinov

I'm a classic example of all humorists - only funny when I'm working.
Peter Sellers

In high school, I was the class comedian as opposed to the class clown. The difference is, the class clown is the guy who drops his pants at the football game, the class comedian is the guy who talked him into it.
Billy Crystal

What is comedy? Comedy is the art of making people laugh without making them puke.
Steve Martin

Comedy has to be based on truth. You take the truth and you put a little curlicue at the end.
Sid Caesar

God writes a lot of comedy... the trouble is, he's stuck with so many bad actors who don't know how to play funny.
Garrison Keillor

Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot.
Charlie Chaplin

Monty Python was well-known for pushing and breaking comedy taboos and raising a stir. We were also the first show to do cannibalism as a schtick.
Graham Chapman

It's nice to see that look of alarm on the faces of the others.
Graham Chapman

I am also an Emmy winning actress. Except that I gotta tell ya, it was for comedy and I've been practicing for most of my life because every job I've ever had they'd always say the same thing, 'Hey Lauper, what are ya, some kind of comedienne?' Who knew?
Cyndi Lauper

My comedy is different every time I do it. I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
Adam Sandler

I used to see Jim Carrey in comedy clubs and tell him 'This isn't going to get you anywhere. What you're good at is that nice Jimmy Stewart stuff.' Thank God he never listened.
Jane Leeves

3 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

"You take the truth and you put a little curlicue at the end."

Yowzah! The Hoss School of Writing. (Except, of course, everything I write is just plain true, without curlicues. Just like yours, Missy. I think.)

Unknown said...

Nice quotes. I like comedy. Someday, I plan to get Franklin Ajaye's book, Comic Insights: The Art of Stand-up Comedy. It's supposed to have great insight into comedy.

Laurie said...

Old Horsetail - Everything I write is true, except for what I make up.

Comfort Addict - I'll have to check that out.