Monday, October 23, 2006

Somebody Make It Stop

The election season is upon us and, as usual, the television and radio ads are like fingernails on a blackboard, an ice cream headache and water torture all rolled into one.

In the Texas governor race, Carole Keeton Strayhorn's ads are playing constantly, including one about how she married her high school sweetheart. I don’t care.

Rick Perry and Chris Bell are attacking each other claiming their opponent: hates children, hates teachers, hates money, loves money, hates Texas, is a bigot and, in general, a menace to Texas society.

In the meantime, Kinky Friedman, James Werner and James "Patriot" Dillon, have no radio or television ads in most areas of Texas because they don’t have the money of the other three candidates.

I would like to make the following proposal:
  • All radio and television ads would be banned. They’re all exaggeration, accusations, cross-accusations and bullshit anyway.
  • Newspaper and magazine ads would be restricted to two inch by two inch spots.
  • Posters would be restricted to two feet by two feet.
  • Posters would also be restricted to one poster per square mile per candidate.

Any mud a candidate would want to sling at their opponent would have to fit into either the two inches of the print ad or the two feet of the poster. I predict that the candidates would be a lot more selective about their chosen mud.

As an added bonus, we don't have to listen to the ridiculous political spots over and over and over again. Who's with me?

9 comments:

gawilli said...

I'm sure with you. What a drag. After awhile it all sounds like bullshit - which is really sad. No wonder people don't vote.

Lorna said...

I'm with you. And Kinky. but mostly you. I'm going to write in your name on the ballot. who's with me?

Laurie said...

Gawilli - And, no wonder people who should run for office don't.

Lorna - Oh, boy. Would I have some fun or what?

Mommy said...

I'm with ya!

Laurie said...

Jen - I knew you would be.

Inca From Peru said...

Personally, I look forward to these ads.

I enjoy watching Rick Perry standing in silhouette along the Rio Grande, with a couple of grizzled lawmen, the gov trying to look rough and cowboy-ish in his designer chinos, brush-popper shirt, and $800 Lucchese antelope skins. I liked seeing Chris Bell dribble sauce on his chin at a BBQ in Wallisville. And Kinky walking around his ranch, petting animals and quoting the book of John? As his bumper stickers say, Why the hell not?

The trial lawyers seem to be dumping their cash into Strayhorn's coffers, though. At least Reaud and W. Umphrey have, big time. In politics, it is always a good idea to keep an eye on which way the 'smart' money is going.

Nice blog, BTW.

Laurie said...

Inca - Thanks. Nice comment. That pretty much covers it. :)

Unknown said...

Laurie,
What really get's me is the phone calls. I can turn the channel or flip the page to avoid their ads, but the politicians have exempted themselves from the "Do Not Call" list. Now, the rat-bastards are calling my house. Only it's not them, (live at least) it's a recording, and sometimes it's not even them; sometimes it's their wives or nieghbors calling me extolling their virtues. Also, they are using out of area firms to tele-spam me. Maybe, I mean maybe, if mr. or mrs. candidate happened to give me a call and i might listen to what he or she has to say. Working in media, I have a pretty good idea of how much it's costing them to buy commercial time and signs/banners/yada yada. Also, you can check with the local supervisor of elections to see how much cash-ola they have raised. hmmmm. so mr. city councilman, you've raised $7,500 (that we you've reported) about $4,000 of your own cash and you've spent big bucks to an out-of-state telemarketing firm to call voters in a small city. So who are you going to be withholden to once you get re-elected to a position that pays exactly $400 a month?

Laurie said...

Al - Excellent point!