Monday, October 16, 2006

New Furniture Today


I'm having some new bedroom furniture delivered today. That's a picture of the actual dresser up there and I got two nightstands to match. The bed looks like the one on the left except it is sandstone (beige-ish) with silver accents instead of the black with gold accents.

I also got a new mattress. The salesperson asked me what kind I wanted and I told her I had been sleeping on the same mattress for the last 26 years so, I'm obviously not very picky in that department. My current mattress actually has a visible dent in it caused by the heaviest part of my anatomy.

My bedroom is pretty small and the furniture is pretty big. I'm beginning to have anxiety attacks approximately every hour due to my OCLS - obsessive compulsive lifestyle. According to Jack, it isn't a disorder, it's a lifestyle choice. My OCLS isn't of the Monk variety. It's more of the Felix Unger variety.

My OCLS is causing me to have regrets and second thoughts. Could I have gotten a better deal somewhere else? Nothing is going to fit in the room or look right together. Should I have gotten more of a feminine style of furniture to go with the romantic look of the bed? Should I have shopped around more?

I'm certain that all of my nicknacks and brickabrack and googahs are going to suddenly be hideously tacky. The delivery men will punch holes in my walls and, the first time I sleep in the bed, it will go crashing to the floor.

All of the clothes from my old dresser are on the couch in my office and all of the pictures in the bedroom and hall are on the floor along with the aforementioned hideously tacky nicknacks, brickabrack and googahs. I've moved my living room furniture in an effort to prevent the movers from breaking things downstairs on their way up to the bedroom. All of this wreaks havoc on the sensitive psyche of a person with an OCLS.

Did I mention there is a 90% chance of rain today?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The new furniture looks quite nice! I have heard rumors that one should replace their mattress every 10 yrs, so you were definitely do. Considering you spend about 1/3 of your life in bed so having a bed you really like is very important.
I like those littler drawers in the dresser.
What did you do with the old stuff?

a lifestyle choice??? oh that is amusing, I will have to try that someday.

Anonymous said...

love the bed...looks like one of those old squeeky looking ones from my deep dark past...hahaha

Deek Deekster said...

a new bed is a new era...

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Loved the Felix Unger comparison; I'm right there with you!

Hope you love your new bedstuffs; I just bought a fluffy synthetic down comforter on Friday, and I luuuurrrves it!

Laurie said...

Susan - I sold my old furniture, which was still in excellent shape (the OCLS, you know) to my cousin.

Shaymus - That sounds like a blog post just waiting to be written. Welcome here, by the way. :)

Deek - That's the plan. ;)

GnightGirl - I so totally "get" Felix.

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Laurie. I'm guessing you have the day off for this and that you'll totally love it when it's all said and done.

Anonymous said...

I got all new bedroom furniture about a year ago. Since you sleep away a third of your life, it's a good move!

Laurie said...

Sophmom - It's perfect!

Rhea - I can't wait to sleep on it tonight.

Anonymous said...

Cool, Good luck with the new bed and the squeeking... Oz is a long way I know but if I stand on the roof with a funnel in my ear...and who knows! with the right breeze I might just hear it!

Laurie said...

Shaymus - You're a lot more optimistic about my love life than I am.