Friday, April 15, 2005

Friday Night Standup - Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

  • Once while walking through the mall a guy came up to me and said "Hey, hows it going?". So I grabbed his arm and twisted it up behind his head and said "Now whose asking the questions?"
  • When I was in the 3rd grade, a bully in school started beating me up every day. At first I didn't say anything, but then I told dad. He got a real scared look on his face and asked if the bully had a big dad. I said I didn't know. But he still seemed scared. And just a few days later we moved to a new town. Dad told me that if anyone picked on me, not to fight back. Unless I knew the kid didn't have a dad or the dad was real small. Otherwise just curl up in a ball.
  • One thing vampire children are taught is, never run with a wooden stake.
  • If you want to be the most popular person in your class, whenever the professor pauses in his lecture, just let out a big snort and say "How do you figger that!" real loud. Then lean back and sort of smirk.
  • If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind people and pinching them is probably a joke that gets old real fast.
  • I think college administrators should encourage students to urinate on walls and bushes, because then when students from another college come sniffing around, they'll know this is someone else's territory.
  • Sometimes life seems like a dream, especially when I look down and see that I forgot to put on my pants.
  • Marta was watching the football game with me when she said, "You know, most of these sports are based on the idea of one group protecting its territory from invasion by another group." "Yeah," I said, trying not to laugh. Girls are funny.
  • I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me.
  • Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill.
  • If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, forget em', cause, man, they're gone.
  • When Gary told me he had found Jesus, I thought, Yahoo! We're rich! But it turned out to be something different.
  • Probably the saddest thing you'll ever see is a mosquito sucking on a mummy. Forget it, little friend.
  • Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.
  • To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" you can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."
  • The memories of my family outings are still a source of strength to me. I remember we'd all pile into the car - I forget what kind it was - and drive and drive. I'm not sure where we'd go, but I think there were some trees there. The smell of something was strong in the air as we played whatever sport we played. I remember a bigger, older guy we called "Dad." We'd eat some stuff, or not, and then I think we went home. I guess some things never leave you.
  • If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."
  • One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.
  • If you're a young Mafia gangster out on your first date, I bet it's real embarrassing if someone tries to kill you.
  • If you go parachuting, and your parachute doesn't open, and your friends are all watching you fall, I think a funny gag would be to pretend you were swimming.
  • When I was a kid my favorite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.
  • If they ever come up with a swashbuckling school, I think one of the courses should be laughing, then jumping off something.
  • When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.
  • I bet the main reason the police keep people away from a plane crash is they don't want anybody walking in and lying down in the crash stuff, then, when somebody comes up, act like they just woke up and go, "What was THAT?!"
  • Ambition is like a frog sitting on a Venus Flytrap. The flytrap can bite and bite, but it won't bother the frog because it only has little tiny plant teeth. But some other stuff could happen and it could be like ambition.
  • When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.
  • We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.
  • I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it.
  • If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
  • I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it.

7 comments:

se7en said...

Jack Handey words to live by! or not... LOL

hey grrrrl!! *hugs*~!!!

Anonymous said...

So I get up this morning, come down for my breakfast and end up belly laughing and spilling coffee down my Saturday shirt. Was that what you had in mind?

Laurie said...

Se7en - Hey! Hugs to you, too!!

Talking Tina - A generic you're welcome for your generic thank you.

Lorna - Sorry about your Saturday shirt but if it's anything like my Saturday shirt, no one will notice one more coffee stain. ;)

John Norton said...

Haha, I love Jack Handey. I think my favorite Deep Thought is, "If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy." That guy is gold.

Laurie said...

John - There were so many! I only put on about half of them I found.

Danno said...

I love Jack Handey:

These are 2 of my favorites:

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!!

Laurie said...

Danno - Great!