Saturday, April 23, 2005

Game Wardens Forced to Shoot Alligator




Before I forward things, I always check to be sure they aren't urban legends. If people send me crap, I immediately hit reply all and send them the link to the web page debunking that aforementioned crap. I have the Fasted Debunking Fingers in The West.

When Tracey sent us the above picture Friday, I immediately got an e-mail from Jen saying, "Laurie, please debunk this!" Not only could I not debunk it, but I also found the actual newspaper article which I include below.

Jen sent me the same e-mail, begging for a swift debunking, when we received an e-mail advising that the recently elected Pope is the second to the last Pope, right before Pope Satan (as we have come to refer to him in our little work e-mail sewing circle). I couldn't debunk that one either. Hmmm, I suddenly feel another blog post percolating.


By Michael WrightThe Facts
Published April 16, 2005

WEST COLUMBIA — Anita and Charlie Rogers could hear the bellowing in the night. Her neighbors in Bar X Ranch had been telling them they had seen a giant alligator in the bayou that runs behind their house, but they dismissed the stories as exaggerations.

“I didn’t believe it,” Charles Rogers said.

Friday they realized the stories were, if anything, understated. Texas Parks and Wildlife game wardens had to shoot the beast, which measured 13-feet, 1-inch long.

Posted by Hello

11 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

What the hell alligator doing in West Columbia? Seems pretty far inland. Yikes, what a big dude.

Lorna said...

shoes and a handbag, two bits...

OldRoses said...

And people make jokes about New Jersey! At least we don't have giant alligators running around.

Carol Davidson said...

I think giant alligators and Pope Satan are somehow related.

Laurie said...

Old Horsetail - Can you believe his head! The problem with gators is that, unlike Great White Sharks, they are often inland when you live this near the coast. The swamps are quite extensive.

Lorna - Leave it to you to thing about fashion.

Old Roses - Can you believe that thing. His head!! My God! His head!!!!

Abby - Holy crap!

Astrid said...

Oh my, first the catfish, now the alligator, is obesity a crisis even in the animal world?

Laurie said...

Astrid - I hadn't thought of that. That's REALLY sad.

Anonymous said...

So here is my question, Why is the shadow of the office on the groud but not on the alligator? That is why I still have questions about it being a real photo.
Joe

Laurie said...

Anonymous - Good point. I got the picture and the story off of the newspaper's website though.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was fake at first too, but the shadow is not in the picture because the alligator is at least a couple feet off the ground and the bottom of the picture is too close to the alligator to see its shadow. The shadow would be towards the photographer as you can see from the officer's shadow.

Laurie said...

Anonymous - Good work, Scooby. :)