Tuesday, April 19, 2005

A Musical Dilemma

Next week, Styx and Leon Russell will be in Beaumont on the same night and I can't decide which show I want to see.

I saw Leon Russell last year and he was great. Just the thought that I would be about ten feet away from someone who had actually hung out with George Harrison was enough for me to fork over my $15. The show was fabulous and the fact that I was one degree of separation from George Harrison was cosmically incredible.

Since I've already seen Leon Russell, the logical choice would seem to be to go to Cactus Canyon and see Styx. However, Dennis DeYoung won't be with them. On the other hand, Tommy Shaw and James Young will be there. So, it would appear that Styx is in the lead.

However, when we consider venues, the choice becomes less clear. Cactus Canyon is rotten as a live music venue. It's a country-western dancehall that occasionally tries to dress up as a concert venue. This is no comparison for Antone's which has the best sound system in Beaumont for live music. Also, while Antone's feels like home to me, Cactus Canyon is - how shall I put this - icky.

The concert is still a week away and since neither show is reserved seating and neither show is likely to sell out, I still have time. Maybe I'll just toss a coin.

6 comments:

Larry Jones said...

I can read the answer right in your post: Leon Russell, of course! But if you are still struggling with it, may I add my opinion? Leon Russell is a true artist, a great songwriter, a guy who's been around and understands the human condition (as evidenced by his songs), and certifiably weird. Styx, on the other hand, is only one step up from a one-hit wonder who would be quickly forgotten, if only they'd stop touring.
Hope I've reached you in time.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Tex: Flip a coin (then go see Leon)

Laurie said...

Larry - He is weird. After his show last year, he went straight to his bus but had his people announce he would be signing autographs in the bus. One of my friends went in and gave the manager or somebody a piece of paper, they went behind a curtain and came back with the paper signed. Anybody could have signed the autograph but we're thinking it was Leon and just a little more of his weirdness.

Old Horsetail - I like the way you think.

sleepybomb said...

saw leon, worked for styx. go see leon.
the 1st time i saw him, he was with joe cocker on the maddog tour and he is still an exciting performer . . .

Lorna said...

Leon Russell won't sell out? $15 a ticket? Oh my God, madame, Beaumont is heaven with a sound sysstem....

Laurie said...

Sleepbomb - I would have loved to have seen Joe Cocker. I just bought his greatest hits CD.

Lorna - That's the beauty of living in a semi-small town (100,000). People's interests are so spread out, nothing is very crowded and the traffic isn't that bad.