Tuesday, January 25, 2005

A Message to the Camera Shy: Get Over It

Camera shyness is a foreign concept to me. My family and usual traveling companions are such camera hogs that I am always taken aback by the whole hand-in-front-of-the-face-don’t-take-my-picture attitude.

Some people photograph well and some people do not. Some are actually more attractive in photos than in person. I hate to be the person to burst some bubbles but some of you aren’t as cute as you think you are. There are others who take horrible pictures but are attractive in person. All of which doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. I take a horrible picture but I smile as big as I can and no one seems to notice the fat cheeks, beady eyes, triple chins or big nose.

My message to the camera shy:

We take pictures of you because we like you and we want a memory of spending time with you. No one gives a sh** or even gives any consideration to how you look. If it’s a particularly unattractive shot of you, we will laugh at the absurdity of the photo, not at you personally. Everyone knows you don't really look like that in person.

From now on, I will not argue with any of you if you don’t want your picture taken. You look a lot more ridiculous cowering and hiding and scowling than if you put a big smile on your face and showed the world your true personality. But, if that’s how you want it, I will politely ask you to step aside while I take the picture of everyone else. There will be no more begging, no more pleading, no more don’t-take-my-picture theatrics.

You will almost certainly be unintentionally included in some of the more candid shots but that’s tough cookies. Please try to suck it up and, for posterity’s sake, try to look like you’re having fun.

No comments: