Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Coincidence?

Last night I was watching television and noticed one of the displays on my home theater system doing something funky. It was the display on my DVD player. I turned it off and on and the display just kept going crazy showing all kinds of weird alien looking stuff.

I turned it off again and when I turned it back on, the display wouldn't come on at all. The only lights showing were the ones above the display indicating that I still had three DVDs in the machine. Three NETFLIX DVDs. Crap.

I had to get those DVDs out of there so I just kept pushing buttons until I got enough lights to show up to be able to open the drawer. I got the DVDs out, but now there was a bigger problem. The cabinet that holds my home theater receiver and DVD player is the cabinet that the black blob from a few days ago, which I assume was a mouse, went behind.

I had to find out if whatever I saw the other night had set up house inside that cabinet. I mustered up my courage, grabbed a flashlight and a mirror and checked everything out. It all looked normal. There wasn't any evidence that anything had ever been in the cabinet and the DVD player power cord looked fine.

I've never had a problem with the components in that system. Although I've had it for four years, I think it's a pretty weird coincidence that the DVD player goes nuts a week after a mysterious black blob runs behind its cabinet.

By the way, my traps still haven't caught anything.

Another coincidence note:
When I finished typing this and was about to hit "publish," a commercial came on for a movie and the announcer described it as "a cat and mouse thriller."

11 comments:

George said...

I'm betting that by Valentine's Day this mouse will be in your lounge chair, remote in hand, watching Tom and Jerry re-runs. It's not looking good for the home team.

Adela said...

I watched part of "The Green Mile" recently. There were a couple of funny scenes starring a mouse.

Anonymous said...

It may be time to get a cat.

Susan in St. Paul said...

Good thing you got those DVD out, when my previous player bit the dust I had just pressed open when in went back further into the player and dropped the DVD deep inside! I had to take it apart to get the DVD out. It was a very inexpensive Apex ($25) and when I looked on line about it everyone was saying how theirs died within 3 months and I had been using mine for 5 yrs!

Laurie-about those sticky traps... have you checked them recently?
I say if you are not allergic just borrow a cat.

TBM said...

Oh, you were so brave to check!

Anonymous said...

Baby Sis...

I think the blog is a alien trying to get home and you just screwed up his communication device. Did you not see ET

Anonymous said...

My dvd player/recorder is doing the same thing! I never could record on the thing. I started hearing a high pitched noise and then the display starts acting like it's possessed. I haven't tried playing anything in it, but I bet I'm in need of a new one. Been meaning to disconnect it to shut up that irritating noise.

Leon said...

well.. i guess it COULD be normal.. its happened to me twice. the dvd player for no apparent reason stops working.. piece of crap..

talking about mice issues... we havent caught our believed-to-be-the-last mouse yet... but yesterday in the morning and orange was partially consumed... and another trap triggered, the food on the trap eaten and no mouse caught...

damN!

Laurie said...

George - I agree.

Adela - There are no funny mice. ;)

Leslie - ((sigh))

Susan - I feel like my DVD player should have lasted longer, but I really hadn't realized how long I had it. Regarding the cat, I'm really not home enough (even weekends) to have a pet. It would just be selfish on my part.

Just... - I thought so too. :)

Baby Sis - You might be onto something.

Diana - Hahahaha! That would drive me nuts!

Leon - You have a very intelligent mouse on your hands. Good luck!

Susan in St. Paul said...

Usually borrowing one for a few hours scares the mice away, just dont let it get caught in a sticky trap, its owner probably wouldn't like that. You need to borrow a "mouser"

Laurie said...

Susan - I have someone who'll loan me one. I might do that.