Friday, January 13, 2006

They Hurtsssessss Our Feelingsses


I was watching a commercial for the Golden Globe awards which featured all the beautiful, talented, and charismatic actors and actresses and genius writers, directors and composers arriving at the festivities in all their finery. These people are what we used to call the In-Crowd back in the day.

Things might be different now, but, when I was in Junior High and High School, the drama club crowd was not exactly the cool group. There were a couple of exceptions, but mostly those guys seemed a little on the strange side. However, when these odd creatures mature and go out into the world, a lot of them become the people who are most admired and envied by a large portion of the population.

The same holds true for the band geeks and art class freaks that later become the Grammy winners and the toast of the wealthy artsy fartsy types. We should also note that the wealthy artsy fartsy types used to be the brains back in their school days and certainly suffered through some hard times at the hands of the popular kids.

I guess this is what Earl would call karma.

8 comments:

Mommy said...

Yeah. Karma doesn't have fists or Golden Globe nominating priveleges. :)

I was a band geek, admittedly.

Anonymous said...

Great visual. If I recall correctly that was originally Lara Flynn Boyle? It really, really works for Smeagol (a/k/a Gollum).

Laurie, I'm still trying to get the image of the grilled item (from the post below) out of my head! EWWWW!!!!

"jgwltni"

"just go with late time night idiots!"

Laurie said...

Jen - I was a brain geek but I also dated one of the stoners so that put me in kind of gray area socially.

Sophmom - Yeah, that was Lara Flynn Boyle. I did a Google for Golden Globes to get an image for the post and found that. I don't know who created it but it's great.

Happy Grilling!

*zpmgn* - Zorro pierced my gonads. Nasty.

Zina said...

YOU ARE UNF***ING BELIEVABLE...I had that thought just a couple of days ago.
Like guy singers...these guys are so worshipped for being SINGERS! The guys that admire these rock stars would never be caught dead singing.

This was so eeerie reading this post.

Anonymous said...

Senorita Laurie, I was stoner in Highschool. :)

Laurie said...

Zina - That's strange! It must be in our genes.

Anonymous - Party on, dude.

Donna said...

Having been a theater major in high school (and a resident of Hollywood), I can tell you that the drama kids don't care that the rest of the school doesn't find them cool -- THEY think they are cool within their own little group, and that's all that matters. The successful adult entertainers are deemed cool for the same reason any adult is looked up to in our society: they earn beaucoups bucks -- and they flaunt it. However, unsuccessful, out-of-work actors are rarely thought of as cool by the rest of the world.

Laurie said...

Donna - You summed it all up perfectly. It makes sense now.