Saturday, November 18, 2006

It Has Begun

After months of procrastination, I finally started cleaning out closets. Actually, I cleaned out nothing. When I started opening boxes and containers, they were so filled with memories I couldn't throw anything away.



I have things I've saved since I was in elementary school and there was no way I was going to part with my 26 year-old son's first pair of flip-flops, Michael Jackson belt or Pink Panther stuffed toy.



Instead, I just rearranged the closet. The only things I threw away were empty boxes I had saved in case I needed to return something if it turned out to be defective. It looks much better and, having gone through all the containers, I don't feel guilty anymore about the closet being so full.



I heard a line in a movie (or a television show or I read it in a book) that applies to my day today: It's not the work that slows you down. It's the memories.



Maybe, I'll have better luck with the hall closet...


9 comments:

TexasGal said...

Is this a BEFORE or AFTER picture? I've only been in this apartment since mid-August and I've already had to straighten out closets. I know what you are talking about. The way you described how you got started and then ended up looking at all the keepsakes, that's pretty much how I clean house. I pick something up and go to another rooom to put it away and then I get started doing something in that room. It feels like I never get done.

Laurie said...

Texas Gal - That's before but you're only seeing about 1/4th of the closet.

Anonymous said...

My, what BIG closets you have!

cindybindy said...

Why do you feel the need to throw things out? I still have the pj's my mother bought me when I had my tonsils taken out in 1964. I never throw anything away. I've lived in the same house since 1962. If I was to move, I'd just have to leave everything and start over. :) PS. Davi just found my Barbie case. She thinks it's odd that all the Barbies are dressed and living in their black vinyl 1960's home. :)

Laurie said...

Sophmom - I know! It's embarrassing that I have them so full. Who needs this much crap?

Cindy - Hello, Davi! My sister and I gave all our Barbie's to our cousin. I wonder whatever happened to them.

Anonymous said...

I'm the anti-pack rat laurie. I save NOTHING!

20 years of having to be mobile quickly took care of that.

Lorna said...

I could go on and on about this subject, but I have to run out now and replace things I threw away when we moved.

Unknown said...

cleaning out stuff can be fun sometimes

... and yes, its the memories ;)

Laurie said...

Allen - There are some things I just can't throw out.

Lorna - It's a good thing I have lots of closets.

Stev - It was more like rearranging than cleaning. :)