Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Classic Game-age

As most classic rock fans, I play the game of name-that-tune-in-three-notes-or-less in my brain every time a classic rock or classic pop song comes within my music hearing radar range. (Who remembers the Amana Radarrange? Anyone? Anyone?) In the case of “Frampton Comes Alive” or Cheap Trick “Live at Budokan”, I don’t even need a note. Just the crowd noise gives those away.

However, there are two bands I never recognize and my brother-in-law takes great joy in that fact because name-that-tune-in-three-notes-or-less is a very competitive game. The two bands that stump me every time are Blue Oyster Cult and Emerson, Lake and Palmer. I used to have the same problem with the Moody Blues but I bought their greatest hits and now I can smackdown on some Moody Blues three-notes-or-less game-age.

I’m already listening to holiday music on my XM radio at work. A little while ago, some song played which I thought was the Moody Blues. However, it was Greg Lake. It seems that any permutation of ELP kicks my three-notes-or-less ass.

12 comments:

Neal said...

While I was in NZ, I kept hearing "Sweet Home Alabama" covered at every bar I went to. It was pretty easily recognizable for me in three notes or less.

Laurie said...

Payot - "Sweet Home Alabam" in every bar in New Zealand?! Whodathunkit?

Larry Jones said...

Three notes or less: That's exactly how much of those two bands I want to hear!

Deek Deekster said...

there are only seven songs in rock and roll...

Anonymous said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING AND GOD BLESS EVERYONE!!!!

Steve said...

I'm sure Larry from the earlier post wouldn't approve, but I've got the best of ELP & BOC. You're welcome to borrow them and memorize the first three notes of every song. Maybe I'll just burn you a disc of the intros.

Miss Cellania said...

I wouldn't get ELP and the Moody Blues mixed up, because I'm a fan of both, but I can see how you would, since the music has certain similarities. Its more embarassing for me to admit that I used to mix up Supertramp and the Electric Light Orchestra, which do NOT sound at all alike. They were just hot at the same time.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Gina said...

I can also recognize certain live songs by the intro note! We are SO talented! I call my sister and or father every-so-often and we play long distance name that tune!

Lorna said...

Not only would I fail at 3 notes or less, I would miserably suck at name that tune, name that artist or name that band. However, in my way, I love music.

Laurie said...

Larry - Not a fan, eh?

Deek - Is that right?

Ariauna - Same to you!!!

Pokerboss - I guess I should buy them but, for some reason, I don't think it'll help.

Miss Cellania - Sometimes I get ELO and Supertramp mixed up, too!

Jersey - We are amazing. :)

Lorna - You are excused from the 3-note game because of your elegant appreciation of beautiful music.

Janet said...

Hi Laurie,

I saw a note of yours on another blog I regularly read, and I was intrigued by your profile. I'm a former Houstonian who now lives in the UK. My best friend in Houston is a Beaumont girl, and what used to be Texaco's Port Arthur refinery (now Chevron, maybe?) was the first refinery I used to buy crude for when I got into the oil business over 30 years ago. I haven't been to that part of SE Texas in a LONG time now, but my British husband and I are planning a trip back to Houston early next year.

Just wanted to say hello. Oh...and I share your love of NOLA.

Hope you're enjoying a great Thanksgiving weekend!

Janet

(lordcelery.blogspot.com)

Laurie said...

Janet - My dad worked at Texaco for about 40 years as did his father. Small world! Nice to meet you.