Tuesday, November 07, 2006

If it flies...

As I was driving to work this morning, I found myself behind a Suburban, otherwise known in these parts as a Texas Cadillac. On the bottom left of the rear window, I noticed one of those stickers which has the name of a child and their chosen sport. I would like to see the name of a child with some math equations under it, but I digress.

As I pulled up behind the Suburban at a stoplight, I got a better look at the sticker. It had two birds in flight on either side of the words, “If it flies, it dies.” That seemed a bit all-inclusive to me, even for Texas. Surely, they wouldn’t shoot a pelican or Superman. What about The Flying Nun or The Greatest American Hero?

Did the Greatest American Hero fly? I don’t remember. I have a sore throat. I think I have a fever. Now, my head hurts. I need to go lie down for a minute. I bet I dream about frogs. Stupid frogs.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did he fly? Don't you remember the song?

Believe it or not,
I'm walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free-.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it's just me.

Laurie said...

Anonymous - Ah, yes. He did fly!

thenewmrsf said...

I just think that sticker is scary...I mean, what does the driver of that vehicle have against birds...and bats, I guess. Well, if I saw a bat, I'D like IT to probably die shortly thereafter...but STILL, that's an overly violent message to send out there. Our streets are scary enough without threatening bumper stickers! How disturbing...

La Sirena said...

He flew...but he was always tripping over his cape during take off.

Go to http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/
for a decent dream dictionary.

According to that site frog dreams mean many things -- among them an ability to be unpredictable and a possible warning to look after your health.

Laurie said...

La Sirena - That's weird about the frog/health thing because I seem to have a bit of a sore throat today..."frog in my throat"?!

Laurie said...

New Mrs. F - I agree. It stayed on my mind until I just had to post something about it. Poor birds, and I don't even like birds. I think they want to peck my eyes out. Scary birds.

neil said...

There was a picture of a pigeon in a pelican's bill a couple of weeks ago. The pigeon never flew again.

Laurie said...

Neil - Survival of the fittest or would that be survival of the one with the biggest mouth. I know some folks who are going to survive a loooooong time.

Unknown said...

Anon stole my thunder -
don't know about flying but he walked on air

Laurie said...

Al - I need to see if it's still on television anywhere.

Inca From Peru said...

One variation of this decal has Calvin whizzing on a dead bird.

Too graphic for some, I suppose, but oh so original.

Laurie said...

Inca - I miss Calvin. :(

Anonymous said...

This is not a big deal it just shows that he hunts birds that are allowed to be hunted they are not saying im going to kill anything that flies and hunting is a good thing it helps feed people and their family. If you dont think hunting is good then you should be a complete vegitarian because all the meat in the world has either been hunted or worse kill with out any chance of getting away to survive.

Laurie said...

Anonymous @ 7:59 p.m. - My post didn't say anything about being anti-hunting. It was a satirical post about the fact that the bumper sticker implies that the person driving the Suburban will kill anything that flies. Of course, the guy driving the Suburban will not kill anything that flies. I know that. Satire.