Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Dreams

I'm a vivid dreamer and I always, at least briefly, remember at least one or two of the dreams I've had during the night. Over the last week or so, I've had a recurrent dream that is really sticking with me.

In the dream, I am running through a train car with two other people in front of me. I know the people (a man and a woman) but, when I wake up, I can't remember who they were. When we get to the end of the train car, the other two people run through the door to the next car. When I open the door to follow, it's too dark and I can't see. I can only hear the sound of the train rushing along the rails and am intently aware of the speed of the train and the danger if I should fall to the rails below.

I close the door and stand there for a while and decide I must go forward. I open the doors again and it's still too dark to see. I close the doors for a second time then open them again. This time, I make the leap and I can suddenly see everything but I fall between the cars. I don't hit the rails (there aren't any). I just start falling into a brightly lit green sort of valley. Then I wake up.

Last night was the third time I've had this dream and I'm not prone to recurring dreams. If anyone has any thoughts on the meaning of this dream, I'd love to hear them.

My friend Jen started a dream journal blog and I'm thinking about doing the same thing. For now, though, I think I'll write a short post each morning about any significant or odd dreams I've had the night before and see if anyone can make sense of them as we go along. If they start to glob up this blog, I'll move them over to another one.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

according to "Yourchillin'dreams.com....TRAIN: (or any means of transportation) Moving through ones life on a schedule.

Dreams do not foretell death. Death generally represents the passing of one phase of life to another. Maybe you feel an urgency (like the people in the train) to accomplish something that you thought would have been done by now.

Jack said...

Here's a hint. What were you doing about 51 years ago?

vielgxo

Larry Jones said...

From The Dream Moods Dictionary:
"To dream that you are on a train, is symbolic of your life's journey and suggests that you are on the right track in life and headed for the right direction. Alternatively, you have a tendency to worry needlessly over a situation that will prove to work out in the end."

My own thought is that you have a choice to make (to go through the door or not), you believe that everyone else (your friends who plunge through the door) is in on some knowledge that you do not have and you are fearful of the unknown behind the door.

Also, I love Popeye's interpretation. It feels like my life.

Laurie said...

Popeye and D.B.C. - Oh, my. You guys smacked that nail right on the head. I won't tell you if it's work related or personal but it's definitely where I perceive myself to be right now. Good job.

Laurie said...

Wang Chi - You're so crazy! I guess I was hesitant to jump into this beautiful world, huh?

Larry - I like that one...headed in the right direction, will work out in the end and I DEFINITELY worry needlessly. (I think Popeye should go into the dream interpretation business.)

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I think d.b.c. hit the nail on the head!!! You are harboring emotional and physical feelings for a certain someone, and those feelings are becoming increasingly stronger as more and more time is spent with this particular person, and you continue to feel the need to subdue your emotions. The frustration of your pent up emotions has led to a deep-seeded feeling of "spinning your wheels." And although you are attempting to proceed with caution, planning each carefull step, what you really want to do is swing the door open, throw caution to the wind, and make unforgetable memories. All of these controlled feelings are manifesting themselves as dream this reocurring dream.

Laurie said...

Anonymous - I'm thinking I've given you some inside info somewhere along the line. ;)

Jack said...

Oh, dear. I guess I'm going to have to explain this in a bit more detail.

It appears that you gleaned from my hint that it's about a beginning, but you seem to be taking a NARAL view of when things begin, when it's really a Roman Catholic themed dream.

You're on a train. First it's light and you can see, and then all the sudden it's dark and you can't.

What make things get dark on a train? Enterning a tunnel, of course.

Maybe it was original when Hitchcock used it at the end of North by Northwest, but by now the imagry and symbolism of the train entering the tunnel is practically a cliche.

But is it were "that" kind of a dream you'd have seen the train from the outside. But you were in the train.

If you want to understand this part, you have to watch "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask." Skip to the sketch with Tony Randall. You'd be sitting next to Woody Allen.

Now, what were you doing about 51 years ago?


"asnsk"

Laurie said...

Wang - Oh, my. Oh my, oh my. But, what would the dream interpretation be for me being my own, how shall I put this, pre-zygote material?

Zina said...

"I guess I was hesitant to jump into this beautiful world, huh?"

I think you are "stuck" in a rut so to speak and you must make a decision to do something about it or stay where you are. In your drema you're not afraid to jump so you do and when you do you fall which might mean it will be hard but the beautifull valley means it is ok and will be worth the fall. Sometimes your have to be the one to make things happen in your life. You've said before you are not confrontational....maybe you should be in this situation.

Laurie said...

Cousin Zina - That seems to be the consensus. I shall work on it.

Popeye - I'm not sure if there is a dream business or not but you'd be good at it.

Everyone - I hope I have another good dream tonight. This was fun!

Anonymous said...

www.freakydreams.com

good luck!