Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A True Blond Story

One of my friends came into my office after lunch yesterday and said, "I have a blond story for you." I said, "Hit me."

My friend (the blond in question) went to Circuit City at lunch to have some work done on the satellite radio she had installed in her car. The Circuit City guy explained her options and she told him she would think about it and would bring the car back another time after she decided what she wanted to do.

She walked back to her car, opened the door, threw in her purse, sat down and closed the car door. Oddly enough, however, the steering wheel was gone. She looked at the empty dash in front of her for a split second, then slowly turned her head to the left. She had gotten into her car on the passenger side instead of the driver's side.

She now had two options. She could either climb clumsily and very unladylike over the console between the seats or she could swallow what little pride she had left, exit the car and walk around to the driver's side and leave Circuit City in shame. She decided the humiliation of leaving the car and walking around to the driver's side would be better than the embarrassment of trying to climb all elbows and assholes across the console.

She said she got out of the car, kept her head down, walked around the car, got in and drove away. She never looked back toward the store where she was certain a crowd of store employees had surely gathered to watch her sort out her dilemma.

I think she should have gotten out of the car, looked back at whoever was watching and, in a very British accent, said, "Damn American cars."

13 comments:

Mommy said...

Hahahahahhahahahahahahaaahhaha! :)

Hilarious. This is fun for me because I get to entertain myself by trying to guess who it is. :)

Peter said...

Oh for the good old bench seat Laurie, could've just slid on over on that sucker.

Ed said...

I once came out of a restaurant, UNLOCKED what I thought was my car and got in. As I was sitting there pondering how all these CD's and trash on the floor had gotten there, I remembered that I had parked further away in the parking lot. It was the same make, model and apparently keyed car as mine. As I walked towards my car, I hoped the people watching weren't calling the police.

Renee said...

I've done things like that often. One of my friends always says I should have been a blonde. I missed my hair-color calling.

Lorna said...

I once had the Cdn Automobile Association come and unlock my car because I could see the keys in the ignition; it got cold, so I got in and sat in the back seat! Realizing my stupidity, but not wanting to share it, I jumped out, locked the door and waited for the guy to save me. And yes, I've always been blonde.

Laurie said...

Jen - I'll send you an e-mail.

Peter - The better to sit right next to your date when we were teenagers.

Ed - I did that before. I looked in the back seat before I got in and thought, who put that dry cleaning in my car but I still tried to open the door anyway.

Renee - Missed your hair calling? That's funny!

Lorna - OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! That's hilarious! You need to blog that.

Mommy said...

That is a funny story, Lorna! :)

Mark Alread said...

LOLOLOLOL Love it

Laurie said...

Jen - Lorna definitely gets the prize for best story on this one.

Mark - I enjoyed the comments more than the post.

Anonymous said...

O.K., my stupid card story. It is Christmas shopping time, the year
1969, I have a car full of gifts, therefore I wanted to make sure I locked the car. It was very cold out so I grabbed my coat and purse, step out of the car, push the "Lock The Door Button" and close the door. I stand there looking inside the locked car, keys in the ignition, radio on and motor running. PANIC TIME! Had to call the husband. He never let me forget that one.

Laurie said...

Mom - None of us let you forget that one.

Anonymous said...

The irony is, no one was probably even watching or cared. Yet we are so affraid they are...

Laurie said...

Anonymous - I would lead a much more interesting life if I could just get that through my thick head!