Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Ligers and Tigons and Napoleon Dynomite, Oh My!



There is a scene in Napoleon Dynamite where Napoleon is drawing a Liger and he says it's 'pretty much my favorite animal' or something like that. A Liger is the product of breeding a male lion and a female tiger. A Tigon is a result of the mating of a male tiger and a female lion. I had no idea there were actually such animals. Here is the Wikipedia definition. The picture above is a Liger.




The picture on the right is of two Tigons.









There are also Li-Tigons, Ti-Ligers, Ti-Tigons and Li-Ligers.

Weird.



EDITED TO ADD:
A commenter asks how there can be Li-Tigons, etc. if the Ligers and Tigons are sterile. The Wikipedia article states, 'Male ligers are usually sterile. Female ligers are often fertile and can be mated to a tiger resulting in ti-liger offspring or to a lion resulting in li-liger offspring.'

11 comments:

Donna said...

So like, what's the difference between a liger and a tigon? I'm so confused!!

Mark Alread said...

I'm still trying ti figure out how Disney bred a Tigger. You know T-I-Double Guh-er. I bet the DNA splicing to get the spring in the tail was hard.

Glod said...

The first bit of the name comes from the father, and the second part of the name. I always thought tigons were tions, but now I know more.

Laurie said...

Donna - I added a sentence to the post explaining that a tigon is a male tiger with a female lion.

Mark - A Tigger is a wonderful thing!

Glod - You got it.

Ed Abbey said...

On a completely unrelated note, you haven't by any chance seen a missing corpse on a gourney?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/13/AR2005071301604_pf.html

Shelli said...

Wow! I had no idea there was such a thing. Learn something new everyday!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

So I suppose tomorrow's piece will be about unicorns and how they're weird?

How soon till we get to satyrs? And wood nymphs?

bayou_boy504 said...

Lucky! I'm going to go and build it a cake!

Laurie said...

Ed - I bet that was one of my relatives. The guy driving the truck, not the corpse.

Shelli - I do my best to entertain and inform. Nah, mostly this is just useless crap.

Old Horsetail - You spoiled the surprise! Dang!

Bayou Boy - Excellent idea!

Zina said...

Well, I'll be...they sure are big ass animals.

Laurie said...

Zina - Yes indeedy!