Sunday, July 17, 2005

Led Zepland vs. Local Music

I just got back from Crockett Street. Tonight we saw Led Zepland at Antone's and they had a new singer from the last time I saw them. In the south, we're told, "If you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothing at all." So, I will leave it at that. In the movie Steel Magnolias, Dolly Parton's character paraphrases the old saying and says, "If you can't say nothing nice, come sit next to me." If any of you are ever sitting next to me, I will tell you exactly what I thought of the new version of Led Zepland.

We left Antone's and went to the Dixie where the body heat from the 20-somethings in lust ran us out of the place pretty quickly. We ended up at the place we probably should have been at all night. At the Star Bar, there were various musicians from some of the best local bands jamming together acoustically in various mixtures of said musicians. (I suppose that is the definition of 'jamming' isn't it?) There were members of The Kaiser Brothers, Buffalo Blonde, Knuckle Deep and Riverfly. At one point a guy got up and sang that wonderful Marshall Tucker song "Can't You See?" and I swear I got a little choked up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer ;-( But at least you got to get choked up somewhere else. Was he singing it to anyone in particular?

Laurie said...

Susan - From the emotion in his voice, I would have to say yes, although there was no mention of it.

Anonymous said...

Miss Jane was in attendance, and she very much enjoyed Image 6. I could have skipped the Led Zep tribute as well. Sounds like the Star Bar was the place to be. As I earlier to our good friend Wang Chi, I understand the tribute concept, but prefer a band to just place the music and play it well. I can't get into the wigs, outfits, and trying to act just like someone else. Seems a little queer to me.

Donna said...

Actually, Dolly's character was quoting Alice Roosevelt Longworth (Teddy's daughter), who was said to be quite the character herself.

I use that line all the time!

Laurie said...

Miss Jane - I still love them tribute bands. Unfortuneately, you haven't yet seen Hell's Bells, Satisfaction or Escape (the Journey tribute band). I really wish we had gone to the Star Bar earlier though. It was a much better party in there.

Donna - Thanks for that info. I had no idea that the quote came from somewhere other than Steel Magnolias.