Saturday, July 16, 2005

Eight Feet Deep - The Blog

I met a fellow Beaumont blogger last night at the Dixie Dance Hall. He's a very nice guy. Check out his blog. He quit his newspaper job to become a full-time freelance writer. I just know it's my job that's holding me back from making a career out of sitting in my fabulous townhouse in the French Quarter writing novel after novel after novel. But, I do like to eat, so work I must.

Of course, it might not be the job that's hindering me. It might be the one thing that has kept me from achieving greatness my whole life. I have a total lack of ambition. My motto is that of Frank Costanza: "SERENITY NOW!" In my quest for serenity, I have perhaps turned down my motivation meter so low that I'm so content with my life as it is at this moment that I don't push myself to achieve more.

The most motivation I can kick up this morning is to either go shopping for a new outfit to wear tonight or dust my computer room. I think I'll skip the dusting, go shopping and think about book ideas while I shop.

6 comments:

Big Dave T said...

As someone else who would rather make his living writing but doesn't have the discipline nor the ambition, I can emphathize. However, I still hold hope that I'm really just a late bloomer. My writing career will kick in when my retirement does.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Serenity is the only thing. Right next to cleanliness.

So saith Hoss, custodian in the "So it goes" School of Life.

Unknown said...

To paraphrase George C. Scott's character from Dr. Strangelove, gee I wish I had that lack of ambition thing.

Laurie said...

Big Dave - Perhaps we'll be on the best seller list at the same time.

Old Horsetail - Vonnegut!

Comfort Addict - I watched Dr. Strangelove yesterday. Love that movie!

Astrid said...

Well, it is never bad to have a friend like Charlotte the Spider living in your computer room, right? Maybe when you go on holiday some time, you can ask her to substitute you while you are away?

Laurie said...

Astrid - That's a fabulous idea!