Friday, July 01, 2005

Friday Night Quotes and Moving Day

This weekend, we're moving my son and daughter-in-law to Houston. That might sound like work to you but in my family, it's just another opportunity to get together and create bedlam and mayhem. Hilarity will no doubt ensue. Someone will absolutely, positively, without fail, do something so stupid, so ridiculous, so unexpected that we'll be talking about it for years.

In honor of my dys-FUN-ctional family, tonight's quotes are about laughter.
  • We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh.
    Agnes Repplier
  • The more you find out about the world, the more opportunities there are to laugh at it.
    Bill Nye
  • Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on.
    Bob Newhart
  • Total absence of humor renders life impossible.
    Colette
  • Laughter is by definition healthy.
    Doris Lessing
  • The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
    e e cummings
  • If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Edgar Watson Howe
  • Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can.
    Elsa Maxwell
  • You cannot be mad at somebody who makes you laugh - it's as simple as that.
    Jay Leno
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
    Jimmy Buffett
  • He deserves Paradise who makes his companions laugh.
    Koran
  • One doesn't have a sense of humor. It has you.
    Larry Gelbart
  • Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine.
    Lord Byron
  • The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
    Mark Twain
  • He who laughs, lasts.
    Mary Pettibone Poole
  • You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    Michael Pritchard
  • Laughter is inner jogging.
    Norman Cousins
  • I was irrevocably betrothed to laughter, the sound of which has always seemed to me to be the most civilised music in the world.
    Peter Ustinov
  • You can't deny laughter; when it comes, it plops down in your favorite chair and stays as long as it wants.
    Stephen King "Hearts in Atlantis"
  • Laughter is the closest distance between two people.
    Victor Borge
  • Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
    Victor Hugo
  • Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh.
    W. H. Auden

5 comments:

Lorna said...

And you always make me laugh---I
think that makes us intellectual and scatalogical soulmates.

Astrid said...

I love these quotes, very cute!!! These are my personal favorites on joy and laughter:

"A smile costs nothing, but gives much; it enriches those who receive, without making poorer those who give."

"A smile is the curve that sets all things straight"

"A smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks almost instantly."

Unknown said...

Thanks for this. My mother died last Sunday. It was unexpected so we were all devastated. However, my family has come together and, suprisingly, we've had a lot of laughs telling stories. Laughter is indeed a balm.

Dick said...

Bill Nye? The Science Guy????

Laurie said...

Lorna - Intellectual and scatalogical soulmates..I love it!

Astrid - You are definitely one of the brighter lights in this world.

Comfort Addict - I am so sorry. You can understand when I say that I have some funny funeral stories that I plan to post one day.

Dick - I wondered the same thing and then I figured, it sounded like something he would say about the universe.