Friday, April 04, 2008

Merry Cemetery

I have an aunt who hates cemeteries. We were in my mom's hometown of Catahoula, Louisiana several years back for some sort of festival. My mom and a few other people convinced my aunt to walk down the street with them to the little cemetery to look for headstones of relatives buried there. Reluctantly, my aunt went with them.

As she leaned on a monument to catch her breath after the walk down to the cemetery, she heard a loud booming voice and nearly fainted. The loud booming voice was the announcer at the baseball field next to the cemetery. I have a feeling she didn't go to any cemeteries for a long time after that.



I was watching Anthony Bourdain's show (No Reservations) the other night and he was in Romania. They went to a place called Merry Cemetery. I was amazed at the colorful tombstones which had pictures and poems about the person's life. Some of the tombstones actually depict the way the person died. I wonder if Aunt Hazel would have a freak-out in that cemetery, too.



8 comments:

TexasGal said...

Wow! First twice...
At first I thought you were going to say she leaned on a headstone and knocked it over! I probably would have jumped outta my skin as well if I heard a loud booming voice.

Apartment for Peggy said...

Ohohoh...I love cemeteries! I'll have to add Romania to my places to visit.

Laurie said...

Texas Gal - She was totally freaked out. It was hilarious. (Sorry, Aunt Hazel.)

Peggy - Doesn't it look fantastic?!

George said...

Too funny . . . better be careful next time you tell her 'three strikes and you're outta here.'

Laurie said...

George - HAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

Grimm said...

I don't get it, so the woman was sitting on the car hood waving "Hi" and fell off?

Oh wait...

...

That is just wrong!

TBM said...

Poor Aunt Hazel! I guess she probably wouldn't be good company on your ghost hunts either.

Laurie said...

Grimm - Hahahaha!!!

Just... - You are so right about that! We've tried to get her to go with us, but no dice. :)