Saturday, April 26, 2008

I just wanted some fried chicken and spring rolls

Ask anybody in my family and they'll tell you that I'm usually the person who orders the one thing on the menu that the restaurant just ran out of. Last night my sister and I went to Kentucky Fried Chicken to get a bucket to feed everybody while we helped her move into her new house.

I said, "I want the 12 piece dark meal with..."

"Ma'am, that'll be 15 to 20 minutes on the chicken."

"What?!" I asked.

She repeated, "I'm sorry, that'll 15 to 20 minutes for chicken."

"Fifteen minutes for chicken?!" I asked, angrier than I intended.

I wish I would have continued the rest of my thought of, "This is a chicken joint and you have no chicken?" But, I decided to take the high road. KFC...Kan't Fry Chicken...Keep Frying Chicken...Kreepy Fucking Colonel.

Today, I ordered Pei Wei for my daughter-in-law and I and decided to also get an order of spring rolls. Guess what. The girl who answered the phone said, "We're out of spring rolls." Did I mention it was 11:45 a.m.? It's not like I was trying to get spring rolls at two o'clock in the afternoon. It was the lunch hour, for Chinese food's sake.

Tomorrow, I think I'll order a taco from Taco Bell to see if my streak is still alive.

7 comments:

Susan in St. Paul said...

Once after my parents moved back to Chicago I was on the phone with Amtrak asking about trains. None of the places I wanted to go to were served by Amtrak, or Amtrak was running a bus at that point. I started asking about places I didn't want to go, and there were no trains, finally, I said "If you have a train where does it go?"

Lorna said...

Just getting caught up after a week of lollygagging. I think you've set an impossible standard for KFCs and chinese take-out. I know I'd wait 30 minutes for KFC, but I think I'd have to be dead first.

TBM said...

Wow, does it take 15-20 minutes to deep fry chicken?!

Good luck with the tacos ;-)

OldHorsetailSnake said...

You got off a real funny. Good luck on tomorrow.

Laurie said...

Susan - Hahahah! I want to ride a train.

Lorna - Now, I'm hungry for KFC again.

Just... - I know!

Old Horsetail - Thanks, Hoss.

Leon said...

oh, the luck...

i can honestly say i dont think i've ever had such issues...

:)

Laurie said...

Leon - You're lucky.