Saturday, August 11, 2007

I wouldn't want his job

As I passed by the desk of the woman who reports copier problems to the copier maintenance guy, I heard her say this in a very stern tone:

"Well, I have several ladies here who are having problems with the machine. I will let you talk to each of them."

I suddenly had a vision of irate legal secretaries and paralegals, who had been trying to complete deadline sensitive documents on a Friday afternoon, standing in line by the copier waiting for their turn to tear this guy a new one as he stood meekly listening to each and every complaint.

When she got off the phone, I told her of my vision and she said, "He said he can't come until Monday!"

I said, "Oh, you have to call him back. Tell him you keep a special secret calendar marked with the PMS weeks of each and every woman in the office and Monday isn't looking too good for him."

I once actually worked with a delightful college age male runner for several years who swore he actually had such a calendar. Smart man. I'm sure he made some lucky girl a wonderful husband. I just hope she never catches him pouring over his little cheat sheet at the wrong time of the month. He might find himself eating it with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

5 comments:

Mommy said...

Hahaha, I went to school with a guy who kept a calendar of our cycles (his close friends who happened to be ladies). Very smart, but somehow, "piggish". Le sigh.

Lorna said...

What's PMS again? she said, smirking....

Laurie said...

Jen - I look at it more as self preservation. We don't always mean the things we say during those awful days...if memory serves. :)

Lorna - Tee hee. Ah, one of the many joys of hysterectomy.

Jenn in Holland said...

hahahahahaha! Oh, my, that was just rich. Well said!

Laurie said...

Jenn - Thanks. :)