Thursday, August 23, 2007

Because I know what God is thinking

We went to Easy's last night for my friend Steve's birthday. I had one of the most delicious hamburgers I have ever eaten with sweet potato fries and the martinis were perfect. Here's a link to the site where you can see the menu in case you're ever out this way.

At one point during the evening, Rosann was telling her hilarious story about her traumatic 12-hour trip to Oklahoma with her 70-ish year old dad and 80-ish year old uncle. On the way home, the uncle made her cry and insisted on driving the rest of the way home banishing Rosann to the backseat. Did I mention that her uncle is 80-something and it was about two in the morning when he took over the wheel?

Rosann: I just kept praying, "God, please just let us make it Kountze. If I just live to see Kountze, I'll be happy."

Laurie: Wow. I bet that got God's attention. I bet he doesn't have many people praying to be lucky enough to get to Kountze.

Everybody: Hahahahaha!

Rosann: (Undaunted by the interruption) When I looked up, we were sitting in the middle of the road...

Steve: Yeah, God probably thought, "Hmmmm, I'll just trade her out with one of these folks praying to get OUT of Kountze."

Everybody: HAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!

Rosann: ...and my uncle was just sitting there...

She never missed a beat. Quite frankly, I'm not even sure she noticed the little God segueway. In fact, if God had struck Steve and I dead at the table for such blasphemy, I'm pretty sure she would have continued her tale of woe even as they loaded us up and drove us away.

She's supposed to drive those two old coots back up to Oklahoma in a couple of weeks. God, please help her make it to Kountze.

Amen.

7 comments:

Carol Davidson said...

Great story!

And for the record, God doesn't strike us dead. He makes us blog.

Ah-men.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's funny.

Twit said...

God doesn't need to think.
He leaves that kind of tail-chasing triviality to us.

Nice hat ¦:¬]

Steve said...

It was a fun story. We all have to get together again after the next trip to hear about round two. I'll have another birthday if we need an excuse.

Laurie said...

Abby - Boy, that's the truth.

Leslie - :)

Twit - Thanks. :)

Pokerboss - That's a deal.

Mommy said...

Bahahaha! That is great. :) I wish I could have been there!

Laurie said...

Jen - Steve says that you moving away is the reason we (the work crew) never all get together anymore. See, it's all your fault.