Monday, September 04, 2006
This isn't as weird as it sounds. It's a bluegrass tribute to Van Halen. Okay, it is as weird as it sounds but it's still very good, actually.
I don't know anything about bluegrass music but I heard the Jump cover on my XM radio one day at work and felt compelled to buy the whole CD. I thought the best tracks were the ones that included David Lee Roth, the ones with the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band and the one with the John Cowan Band.
For me, a little bluegrass goes a long way, so I haven't yet been able to listen to the whole thing in one sitting. However, spread out over several listening sessions, it is absolutely, positively entertaining. Most importantly, it's something a little bit different for your music collection.
Here's the track listing:
1. JUMP - David Lee Roth with the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band
2. JAMIE’S CRYIN’ - David Lee Roth with the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band
3. I’LL WAIT - Blue Highway
4. RUNNIN’ WITH THE DEVIL - The John Cowan Band (courtesy of Pinecastle Records)
5. DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY - Mountain Heart
6. AIN’T TALKIN’ ‘BOUT LOVE - Iron Horse
7. HOT FOR TEACHER - David Grisman
8. FEEL YOUR LOVE TONIGHT - Tony Trischka, Dudley Connell, Marshall Wilborn, Dave McLaughlin
9. PANAMA - Cornbread Red
10. UNCHAINED - Iron Horse
11. ICE CREAM MAN - Larry Cordle
12. AND THE CRADLE WILL ROCK... - The John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band
13. COULD THIS BE MAGIC? - The Nashville Bluegrass Band (courtesy of Sugar Hill Records)
14. ERUPTION - Dennis Caplinger
15. JAMIE’S CRYIN’[RADIO EDIT] - David Lee Roth with the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band
Edited to add this video (thanks to Pokerboss for pointing it out):
(By the way, Diamond Dave sounds a lot better on the CD than he does in this video and what's up with the Beach Boys shirt?)