Friday, November 02, 2007

Pretend you're a fly on the wall

A conversation I just had with a co-worker:

Steph: Did you vote, yet?

Me: Yeah, early voting ends today. I voted “For” on the school bond election. It won’t raise the taxes that much and I always vote “yes” on school bond elections. I want them to have everything they want, new cafeterias, new gyms, spas, I don’t care. Give it all to ‘em.

Steph: Why am I not surprised? This coming from the person who never looks at her 401(k) statements or paystubs.

Me: That’s right and you know what? I made $x,xxx on my 401(k) last month.

Steph: What?!

Me: Yep, my dad says, “God takes care of small animals and dumbasses” and I am not a small animal, so...

Steph: Unbelievable.

Me: When you do go vote, there are about four pages of statewide propositions on the ballot before the local school bond issue. I didn’t understand any of them so I just voted “For” on all of them.

Steph: What?!

Me:
Yeah, I figured if somebody cared enough to go to all the trouble to get a proposition on the ballot, I should give them a shot.

Eveybody in the kitchen: HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Steph: Why am I not surprised?


UPDATE 11/7/07:
All of the statewide propositions passed by large margins so, I was right. Harumph!

8 comments:

Leon said...

hmmm...
Im not exactly sure what you were voting for, or how "voting" works over there..
but..
umm..

hehehe..

Mommy said...

hahahaa. I just can't be that way. I'm suspicous of everyone's agenda, so I researched our new propositions before I went to vote in our elections. :)

Laurie said...

Leon - I wasn't sure what I was voting on either. :) I'm a bad citizen.

Jen - Too bad you're voting in Louisian, you could have balanced out my vote.

Lorna said...

I don't like the latent hostility that your co-worker exhibits toward you. you can tell her about my steel-toed Docs.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I've heard that some people actually read their ballots before they vote. I guess that's asking too much of somebody as busy as you. Way too much.

(Heh. You're a doll, voting for the schools.)

Laurie said...

Lorna - Oh, it's okay. Steph and I have been good friends for years.

Sometimes, when people first meet me, they're confused by my "everything works out for the best", "just have fun", "don't worry about it" attitude.

After awhile, when they discover it wasn't an act and it's really how I am, it can get a little exasperating. :)

Old Horsetail - It just takes a lot for me to not be able to see both sides of the same issue. There are few things I'm passionate about to take sides. I'm a real fence sitter.

Bad citizen.

Rebecca Hickman said...

You're so funny! I liked this story.

Laurie said...

40 Forever - Thanks. :)