Thursday, September 13, 2007

Surprise! It's a hurricane!!

When I went to bed last night, Tropical Storm Humberto was headed toward Galveston. I woke up about 3:00 a.m. and wondered what was going on because I hadn't even heard any rain, yet. When I turned on the television, I found out that Tropical Storm Humberto was now Hurricane Humberto and it was headed straight for us.

About thirty minutes later, conditions started to deteriorate, as they say on The Weather Channel. The winds picked up to probably no more than 50 m.p.h. but it was enough for my power to flicker off and on for about thirty minutes before going out completely. The disco effect from the lights on my bedside clock radio and cable television boxes in my den and living room made it difficult to find a bed or couch to be able to go back to sleep. I was actually happy when my power finally went out completely.

I ended up spending the rest of the night on the couch downstairs because it was so noisy upstairs. The sound of the constant wind, even at only 50 m.p.h. is as scary as everyone says. We had been warned about rainfall and flooding but the thought of hurricane force winds never occurred to me. So, I hadn't done anything to protect the stuff on my patio. As it turns out, my patio is so small and enclosed, everything weathered the storm just fine.

By about 5:30 a.m. or so, everything had pretty much settled down except for a few squalls and my power came back on at about 8:30 a.m. I'm going to try to make it to the office, now. I don't think there was much flooding.

Now, go take the quiz below or I will be forced to repost it tomorrow.

Update:
When I got to the corner at the end of my block, there was a huge tree down in front of the railroad tracks. I think that explains my power outage.

There were a few more trees and fences down on my route to work. Not too bad, though.

There are still a lot of traffic lights out on Phelan Boulevard and the debris line looks like they might have had 4 or 5 feet of water there last night.

8 comments:

Mommy said...

When I woke up this morning and saw the word "hurricane" on the news, I started calling my family to check on them. Craziness!!! Glad everyone fared pretty well.

TBM said...

Well, shoot! That's not a very nice surprise. I hope that you're done with Humberto and he gets out of town quick. And that your electricity comes back soon!!!

Adela said...

Glad you weathered the storm okay. It was even milder out here in Pinewood, thank God.

Laurie said...

Jen - Compared to Rita, it was just a blustery night.

Beguile Me - It was a fast mover, thank God.

Laura - Good for you!

Susan in St. Paul said...

I am glad everything is okay.

Somehow I knew last night it was going to be a small hurricane but was told not to worry, so I didn't.

Do you guys have hurricane sirens like we do for tornadoes?

Laurie said...

Susan - No sirens.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you made it through okay!

Laurie said...

Leslie - There might be another one headed this way by the weekend. Oh, joy.