Thursday, September 13, 2007

Notes on power and/or the lack thereof

  • When Cory laughed at me for buying one of those flashlights that you shake to activate, he was right. Mine, at least, is a piece of shit.
  • A flashlight does you no good if you set it down in the dark and forget where you put it.
  • Just because the power is off doesn't mean I will stop flipping switches or trying to turn things on.
  • I looked at my refrigerator at 8:30 a.m. after being without power for about 4 hours and thought, "I sure hope the power comes on soon so I don't lose everything in my refrigerator." The power came back on at that exact moment.
  • After I was at work for about an hour, the power went off. As I wandered around the office visiting people, I came upon the office manager and a couple of co-workers. I told them about my powers of persuasion when it comes to getting the lights back on. The office manager said, "Do it again." I said, "Hell, no! I don't want the power to come back on here. I just wanted it back on at home." She said, "Aw, come on." I said, "I don't want to say that I wish the power would come back on here." Right then, the power came back on. Evidently, The Universe wasn't listening to the first six words of that sentence. Dammit.

8 comments:

Adela said...

A good lesson in the power of positive thinking! The Universe IS listening!

Laurie said...

Laura - Yeah, I guess I did need to go back to work. Dammit.

Steve said...

I wish you had walked a couple of blocks from the office to my house. I didn't get lights until after 3 this afternoon. It was so hot, I had to go to Hooters and drink beer for a couple of hours. On second thought, thanks for not stopping by!

Susan in St. Paul said...

I am calling you next time my power goes out! I am sure the universe up here would love your voice too!

Every since the summer when we had at least one storm every weekend that knocked power out for days 6 straight weeks in a row(!) I have had a system of lights around the place.

kitchen-safeliter by black and decker that plugs in the wall and turns on when the power goes.
Bathroom-touch battery light by everyready on top of the tank.
Computer-stream light
Nightstand- 7 battery maglite that is supposed to double as a weapon, Front closet door handle-cute little phillips halogen flashlight.

I also have a candle system of wall sconces and mirrors so I have light to do stuff in.

I should mention all the above lights and a few more were a gift of my father except the touch one. He also provides numerous other safety devices for my home and car!

He was a boy scout, can you tell?

There is nothing in my studio, I probably should remedy that.

Laurie said...

Susan - Sounds like I need to make a trip to Lowe's.

Laurie said...

Pokerboss - Just let me know next time you need a favor from The Universe. Nothing big, maybe just spicier wings...and waitresses?

Sorry, Peg. ;P

Anonymous said...

We've been lucky to only go once without power for just a few hours this past year. Of course, now that I've said that, we'll have a week-long outage. The universe works the opposite way for me. Probably because I belong in the Third Level of Hell.

Laurie said...

Leslie - HAHAHAHAHA!!