Thursday, June 11, 2009

That's What I Get for Eavesdropping

This morning as I was walking into my building, I heard a lady coming up behind me talking agitatedly on her cell phone. At first, I thought she was arguing with somebody. So, of course, I really turned on my none-of-my-business-but-I'm-going-to-listen-anyway radar.

As she got closer to me, however, I realized she was talking about some tragedy that I had, obviously, missed hearing on the news on my way to work. We got on the elevator and in the four floors before she got off, I grew more and more agitated myself.

She was speaking about people going up to the roof and jumping to their deaths and telling the person on the other end of the phone how awful it was. I was about to interrupt her and ask what the hell she was talking about when she told her friend, as she exited the elevator...

"I just can't imagine why I would dream something like that."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's one of those aha moments.