(See more pictures - click here.)
Things I found out while I was on vacation:
- Mother Nature hates me: once again, every day was either too cold or too wet or too windy, just like Easter, just like Mardi Gras. The good news is, who cares, I was on vacation.
- Even Jack can get too cold. Thank God for Sharky's. We saw about 5 of the 20 artists at Stingaree Fest because it was just too damned cold for us. However, there's always next year! (Click here for a Houston Chronicle blog post from a person who actually saw a lot of the acts.)
- Brent G. reads my blog. You have been outed. You must now leave a comment.
- Hayes Carll and John Evans are not only amazing musicians, they are hilarious and could always go into comedy if they get tired of the singing thing. (Check out the Houston Chronicle blog post link above for a picture of John Evans playing guitar in his underwear.)
- Hayes Carll and John Evans conducted a marriage in the Tiki Bar for a couple who had met the day before at the Festival. (The Houston Chronical blog link above will tell you more about the wedding.)
- When the parking lot got too muddy, buses were hired to carry people back and forth from the beach parking area to the festival. (Check out the Flickr picture link above for a lovely picture of Terry covered in mud after "helping" a car get unstuck from the mud.) For a while, Hayes Carll even drove one of the buses.
- I do not like being alone as much as I thought I did. Most everyone went home Sunday, Jamie went home at noon Tuesday and I was bored stiff until today. Once I had walked the beach and sat on the deck a few times, I was pretty much done. No amount of reading could dull my boredom.
- Next year, I'm renting the cabin for the weekend for the festival and then for the week during the summer when I can fill it to the brim with friends and family for the whole seven damn days.
- I can't wait until next year's festival. Although I didn't see a lot of it this year, what I saw was great and the whole festival was very well organized.
A quick note about Sanjaya. He should have gone home weeks ago but he stuck it out with style. I actually cried a little last night. No, really. Really. Honestly. I wasn't even drunk.