Saturday, March 25, 2006

War of the Worlds?

I just left my mom's house after watching War of the Worlds with my mom, dad, sister and two aunts. When I left my mom's house and turned the first corner, a speeding car came down the street and almost forced me into someone's front yard. "That was weird," I thought.

As I sat at the next stop sign waiting to make my turn onto Dowlen, I saw three cars racing down Dowlen Road right in front of me going well over the 40 mile per hour speed limit. If I had driven out onto Dowlen thinking I could make it before those three yo-yos, I would have gotten creamed. "Strange," thought I.

When I got to the light at Dowlen and Phelan, I took a left and as I drove in front of Burger King, I noticed the three Speed Racers still antagonizing each other and I decided they weren't racing at all. The crazy ass car in the middle was chasing the car in front of him with the third car following in hot pursuit. "Holy crap," said I to no one in particular.

As I took the next right toward my house, nothing happened.

After I took the next left, however, onto a narrow winding two-lane road, I noticed a car in front of me pass another car. I have lived in this town twenty years and driven down that road many times and I have never seen anyone try to pass someone, especially at night. "What the fuck?!" I shouted at my dashboard.

As I drove a short way further, still trying to figure out what the hell was happening on my half-mile drive home from my mother's house, a car coming toward me suddenly turned on his bright lights. I quickly flashed my brights, mostly checking to see if mine were on which might possibly have caused his freakish high beam attack, but mine weren't on. When I flashed him, he turned his off.

I don't know if you've seen Steven Speilberg's version of War of the Worlds lately but after the adrenaline rush of watching that movie (especially with my mom and her two excitable sisters), that was one wild ride home.

8 comments:

Peter said...

Hey Laurie, you hadn't had a shot or two during the movie had you? seems somethimg sure livened up your little quiet neck of the woods.

Neal said...

Weird stuff like that used to happen to me all of the time, when I lived in the real world.

Laurie said...

Peter - No shots, just some pizza and chicken wings and cinna-sticks.

Carrie - I talk to my dashboard all the time. :)

Neal - It was so bizarre!

Anonymous said...

You should have raced them.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Damn, I was hoping you killed somebody...

Laurie said...

Popeye - Yeah, my little Corolla would have kicked their asses.

Old Horsetail - I seemed to be the target!

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Next time watch War of the Worlds at home where you'll be safe. That sure was a crazy ride home...sounds like you were almost everybodys target.

Laurie said...

Abandoned - No kidding!